We seek Organizers to engage with workers and run impactful campaigns. As a 32BJ Organizer, you will be part of a team of staff and members who support workers in their fight to form a union in their workplace. Organizers report to an Organizing Team Leader or Lead Organizer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers;
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers and establishing trust;
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead their campaign;
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns;
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take collective public action;
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns;
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on the industry as a whole.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will bring previous experience in union or community organizing. A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required, along with the following:
- Capacity to work independently and with a team;
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan;
- Effective and persuasive communications skills;
- Basic writing and computer skills;
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits;
- Fluency in a second language, Spanish preferred.
- This position is a full time position that occasionally requires long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends and holidays.
- This position requires travel to worksites.
- Valid driver’s license and car with insurance required.
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs, walk through large work sites, and participate in marches and demonstrations that can be at least three to four hours in duration.
- Some overnight travel to other East Coast locations may be required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The salary range for organizers is from $52,223 to $74,733. 32BJ offers a generous benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K. 32BJ offers paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days and, after the first year of service, four personal days.
Please send a résumé and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “[City/State] Organizer” in the subject line of your email. Please be sure to indicate where you saw this job.
Please note 32BJ has implemented a vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
32BJ is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
For more information on 32BJ SEIU, visit www.seiu32bj.org. For candidates without the required qualifications and experience, Local 32BJ offers the New Organizer Training Program; application here: https://www.seiu32bj.org/new-organizer-training.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@seiu32bj.org
About 32BJ SEIU
At the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. Founded in 1934, 32BJ is the largest union of property service workers in the nation. We have a powerful and important mission: To build and grow a diverse, effective, politically independent and democratic organization of workers to change our lives for the better, improve our communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
With a commitment to building power for low-wage workers, 32BJ is engaged in winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, such as paid sick days, expanding access to health care, and the Fight for $15.
The union has approximately 425 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. 32BJ SEIU represents over 175,000 property service workers including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees in 11 states and Washington, D.C. 32BJ is an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2 million members dedicated to raising industry standards and making life better for all working families and communities.
32BJ SEIU’s headquarters are in New York City.