DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
32BJ seeks a Conference Support Manager to join our Executive team from now through April 2023 to help manage, plan and execute various pieces of our 2023 Member Leadership Conference, which is a three-day conference held in Atlantic City, NJ for 1,000 union members from across the East Coast. This is a unique opportunity to learn more about the union, support our work and gain exposure to project management and event planning. There is a possibility of the position becoming a full time project management role following the conference. The Conference Support Manager will report to the Assistant to the President who is the overall conference manager. You will excel in this role if you are a team player with a can-do attitude, enjoys focusing on details and is committed to progressive social change.
The Conference Support Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Work with administrative staff across the organization and data/IT teams to register members for the conference and provide periodic registration reports;
- Participate in meetings, help develop agendas, capture and share notes, and follow up on next steps with participants;
Design and implement systems to manage all travel, luggage operation and hotel logistics, and create instructions and materials for transportation captains;
- Create and manage staff sign-in system on site during conference;
- Track related expenses against budget and arrange payments with vendors;
- Facilitate Zoom meetings; and
- Other duties as assigned by the conference manager and members of the executive department (related to the conference as well as non-conference union work).
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Strong administrative, organizational and data management skills with exceptional attention to detail, as demonstrated through at least two years of administrative, project, event/conference planning or related experience
- Fluency with programs including Microsoft Office suite of programs, Google docs, and ability to learn new technology programs quickly; familiarity with Cvent is a plus
- Can work independently, handle multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, including union staff at all levels
- Highly organized and experienced managing a wide variety of responsibilities and tasks, tracking many details and moving pieces concurrently
- Excellent communication skills including effective phone and written/email communications
- The position is a full-time position based in our New York City office.
- This position may require hours outside of business hours, including some nights and weekends, especially as we get closer to the conference.
This position is largely office/computer based with frequent in-person and Zoom meetings. The conference will involve standing, lots of walking and moving boxes/equipment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The salary for this role is $60,000 to $70,000, based on experience.
32BJ offers a generous benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K. 32BJ offers paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days and, after the first year of service, four personal days. The union currently offers a remote work policy of one remote day per week at the discretion of the manager.
Please send a résumé and letter of interest to: HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “MLC Project” in the subject line of your email.
Please note 32BJ has implemented a vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@seiu32bj.org
About 32BJ SEIU
At the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. Founded in 1934, 32BJ is the largest union of property service workers in the nation. We have a powerful and important mission: To build and grow a diverse, effective, politically independent and democratic organization of workers to change our lives for the better, improve our communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
With a commitment to building power for low-wage workers, 32BJ is engaged in winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, such as paid sick days, expanding access to health care, and the Fight for $15.
The union has approximately 425 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. 32BJ SEIU represents over 175,000 property service workers including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees in 11 states and Washington, D.C. 32BJ is an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2 million members dedicated to raising industry standards and making life better for all working families and communities.
32BJ SEIU’s headquarters are in New York City.