DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Airports Field Representative’s primary responsibility is to engage union members in district and union-wide programs by establishing, activating and maintaining a member leadership structure. This position reports to the Lead Airports Field Representative.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and develop member leaders in all assigned worksite groups who take responsibility for moving majorities of their coworkers into public action to strengthen their union;
- Expand the activist base among members by connecting members to a variety of activities, building power both internally at their worksite and externally in the organizing and political programs of their union;
- Set goals and measure progress, developing work plans for their turf and holding themselves and their member leaders accountable.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will bring previous experience in union or community organizing or comparable experience. A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required. While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional skills and personal attributes:
- The ability to independently make and follow through on a work plan;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment;
- Creative problem solver with ability to address obstacles and drive projects to completion;
- Effective and persuasive communications skills;
- Basic writing and computer skills;
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to conduct site visits at airports and house visit workers at their homes.
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs, walk through large work sites, and participate in marches and demonstrations that can be at least three to four hours in duration and involve both physical exertion and tolerance for sustained loud noise.
- Some overnight travel to other East Coast locations may be required.
- This is a full time position that regularly requires hours outside normal business hours, including some nights, weekends and holidays.
- This position is based in the Queens, NY office.
- This position requires regular travel to JFK and LaGuardia airports.
- Valid driver’s license and car with insurance required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The salary range for field representatives is from $52,223 to $74,733. Local 32BJ offers a generous benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K. 32BJ offers paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days, and, after the first year of service, four personal days.
Please send a résumé and letter of interest to: HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “AIRPORTS FIELD REPRESENTATIVE – New York” in the subject line of your email.
Please note 32BJ has implemented a vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@seiu32bj.org
About 32BJ SEIU
The Data Team of SEIU Local 32BJ is looking for a responsible and dedicated data and operations analyst for the union’s electronic case management and database system and other administrative operations.
With 175,000 members in eleven states and Washington DC, SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for thousands of unorganized service workers. We are committed to engaging our diverse membership and to developing members to lead our
organizing, political, social justice and contract campaigns.