DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
32BJ’s Research and Policy Department seeks a Policy Analyst to support the legislative and issue-based work of the union. We are hiring for one position that depending on experience will be a Policy Analyst I or Policy Analyst II. The Analyst will work primarily on state and local legislative and policy advocacy throughout the 12 states and Washington D.C. in which 32BJ operates.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Researching policy and legislative issues throughout 32BJ’s jurisdiction;
- Writing testimony, memos, and position papers;
- Meeting with policymakers and other stakeholders;
- Monitoring & ensuring implementation of policies that have been adopted;
- Advocating for issues and educating officers & members about policy and legislation;
- Coordinating on campaigns with colleagues in other departments; and
- Working with the Director of Policy and Legislation and Senior Legislative and Policy Advisor to plan the union’s long-term agenda.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in policy development, workers’ rights advocacy, and/or campaign coordination. While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional skills and personal attributes:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of experience in labor, government, non-profits, or other relevant positions that included policy and legislative work;
- Excellent research, analytical, and writing skills, strong oral communication skills;
- Strong policy analysis skills, including the capacity to understand complex legislative and regulatory provisions;
- Experience working successfully with policy makers and government officials/staff as well as with policy advocates;
- A demonstrated commitment to workers’ rights and labor organizing, as well as a demonstrated commitment to some or all of the following: economic, racial, immigrant and climate justice; and,
- Demonstrated capacity to set priorities; work on multiple detail-oriented tasks, often on a time-sensitive basis; and work effectively both individually and collaboratively as part of a team.
- This position is a full time position that occasionally requires hours outside normal business hours, including some nights, weekends and holidays (if applicable).
- This position is based in the New York City office.
- The position will require some travel.
This position is largely computer/office based, with many in-person and Zoom meetings (if applicable). On occasion, you will participate in member meetings, rallies, marches and other events.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The salary for this role will depend on the candidate’s skills and experience as follows:
Analyst I: $65,254
Analyst II: $72,297
32BJ offers a full benefits package that includes an employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K.
Please send a resume, letter of interest, and two writing samples to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Policy Analyst” in the subject line of your email. Please include where you saw the job.
Please note 32BJ has implemented a Covid vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
32BJ is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
For more information on 32BJ SEIU, visit www.seiu32bj.org.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@seiu32bj.org
About 32BJ SEIU
At the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. Founded in 1934, 32BJ is the largest union of property service workers in the nation. We have a powerful and important mission: to build and grow a diverse, effective, politically independent and democratic organization of workers to change our lives for the better, improve our communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
With a commitment to building power for low-wage workers, 32BJ is engaged in winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, such as paid sick days, expanding access to health care and the Fight for $15.
The Union has approximately 425 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. 32BJ SEIU represents over 175,000 property service workers including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees in 11 states and Washington, DC. 32BJ is an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2 million members dedicated to raising industry standards and making life better for all working families and communities.