Duties and Responsibilities:
The Lead Field Representative’s primary areas of responsibility are to lead a team of Field Representatives in engaging union members in district and union-wide programs. This position reports to the Capital Area Field Director and supervises three field staff.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify and develop Shop Stewards and new member leaders in all assigned worksites;
- Expand the activist base of the Union by connecting members to a variety of activities;
- Develop and execute worksite or company-wide contract campaigns;
- Develop and execute contract enforcement programs in the worksites;
- Assist in organizing campaigns among non-union workers in our industries;
- Serve as Lead Negotiator during contract negotiations;
- Supervise three field representatives, assist them in developing work plans for their turf and establish systems for accountability;
- Interface with community and labor partners and help make connections for members and staff with the larger movement for social and economic justice.
Qualifications and Experience:
The ideal candidate will be able to lead, motivate and inspire members and demonstrate initiative in all aspects of the work while working under general supervision.
While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional skills and personal attributes:
- A minimum of five years of experience as a Field Representative and/or Organizer;
- Demonstrated commitment to the social justice and labor movements;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including strong verbal and written English skills;
- Ability to cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Working knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining and contract administration issues;
- Experience drafting contract proposals, acting as Lead Negotiator and running a contract campaign;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, both individually and as a team member;
- Must be competent in administrative skills and be able to use basic computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Internet/email functions) as well as tracking and database tools.
- This position is a full time position that regularly requires hours outside normal business hours, including some nights, weekends and holidays.
- This position is based in the Washington, D.C. office.
- This position requires travel to worksites throughout Northern Virginia and Central Maryland.
- Valid driver’s license and car with insurance required.
- This position requires traveling to worksites and participating in events, marches and demonstrations.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for experienced Lead Field Representatives starts at $90,457. 32BJ offers a generous benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K. 32BJ offers paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days, and, after the first year of service, four personal days. The union currently offers a remote work policy of one remote day per week at the discretion of the manager.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “LEAD FIELD REPRESENTATIVE – DC, Maryland, Virginia” in the subject line of your email. Please note 32BJ has implemented a vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
32BJ is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
For more information on 32BJ SEIU, visit www.seiu32bj.org.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@seiu32bj.org
About 32BJ SEIU
At the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, 32BJ SEIU is changing the narrative around important social and economic issues facing working families. Founded in 1934, 32BJ is the largest union of property service workers in the nation. We have a powerful and important mission: To build and grow a diverse, effective, politically independent and democratic organization of workers to change our lives for the better, improve our communities, and build a more just society for present and future generations.
With a commitment to building power for low-wage workers, 32BJ is engaged in winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, such as paid sick days, expanding access to health care, and the Fight for $15.
The union has approximately 425 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami. 32BJ SEIU represents over 175,000 property service workers including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees in 11 states and Washington, D.C. 32BJ is an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2 million members dedicated to raising industry standards and making life better for all working families and communities.
32BJ SEIU’s headquarters are in New York City.