The Airports Field Representative’s primary areas of responsibility is to engage union members in district and union-wide programs by establishing, activating and maintaining a member leadership structure in their assigned work group. This position reports to the Lead Airports Field Representative.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identify and develop member leaders in all assigned worksite groups who take responsibility for moving majorities of their coworkers into public action to strengthen their union;
- Expand the activist base among their members by connecting members to a variety of activities, building power both internally at their worksite and externally in the organizing and political programs of their union;
- Organize their own goals and measure their own progress, developing work plans for their turf and holding themselves and their member leaders accountable.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- The ideal candidate will bring previous experience in union or community organizing or comparable experience. A demonstrated commitment to social justice is required. While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional skills and personal attributes:
- The ability to independently make and follow through on a work plan;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment;
- Creative problem solver with ability to address obstacles and drive projects to completion;
- Effective and persuasive communications skills;
- Basic writing and computer skills;
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to conduct site visits at airports and house visit workers at their homes
- Bilingual in one or more of the following: Spanish, Amharic, Arabic
- Ability to ascend and descend stairs, walk through large work sites, and participate in marches and demonstrations that can be at least three to four hours in duration and involve both physical exertion and tolerance for sustained loud noise.
- Some overnight travel to other East Coast locations may be required.
- This position is a full time position that regularly requires hours outside normal business hours, including some nights, weekends and holidays.
- This position is based in the Washington, DC office.
- This position requires travel to the regional airports: Washington National, Dulles, and BWI. Valid driver’s license and car with insurance required.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The salary range for field representatives is from $52,223 to $74,733 depending on relevant experience. Local 32BJ offers a full benefits package that includes an employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K. 32BJ offers paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days, and, after the first year of service, four personal days.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “AIRPORTS FIELD REP” in the subject line of your email. Please include where you saw the job. Please note 32BJ has implemented a Covid vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures. 32BJ is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
For more information on 32BJ SEIU, visit www.seiu32bj.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About 32BJ SEIU
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.