ALIGN: The Alliance for a Greater New York is an alliance of community and labor united for a just and sustainable New York. We are a critical part of the movement to make New York a nation-leader in building worker power and a renewable energy economy. We seek a talented, motivated, and dedicated organizer to join our team as the Climate & Labor Organizer to ignite momentum for new and developing campaigns in a mid-level position. This position will play an important role in the implementation of dynamic campaigns as part of the NY Renews and Climate Works for All coalitions to advance ALIGN’s vision for economic justice, equity, and environmental sustainability in New York at the city and the state level.
As a leader in NY Renews, ALIGN helped pass the most ambitious climate policy in the country, the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act, requiring the state to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from major sources to zero by 2050. As a co-convener of the Climate Works for All coalition, we won the world’s most significant municipal-level climate policy, targeting the 70% of carbon emissions that come from NYC buildings.
The Climate & Labor Organizer will be primarily responsible for engaging labor unions and other worker organizations within climate-focused campaign coalitions; coordinating high-impact mobilizations and actions that shift public opinion and elevate campaign profiles; and building a base of our institutional partners and other targeted audiences to mobilize broad support for our issues.
Position Description and Responsibilities
The Climate & Labor Organizer will report to the Deputy Director. They will be responsible for leading on our climate campaigns, which will include the following responsibilities:
- Lead efforts to build relationships with labor unions and worker organizations across New York State: This will be the Climate & Labor Organizer’s primary and most significant responsibility at ALIGN and within the Climate Works for All coalition at the City level and the NY Renews coalition at the state level. The Climate & Labor Organizer will place particular focus on engaging labor unions that are most impacted by the transition to a green economy. They will be responsible for deepening existing relationships, rapidly growing new relationships, and ensuring that labor unions are at the table to help shape climate policies at the state and local level.
- Campaign Coordination & Development: Supporting the visioning, planning, and strategy development of climate campaigns in NY Renews and Climate Works for All in conjunction with allies and coalition members. Leading and/or supporting a team of organizational partners to effectively build and implement climate campaign plans through goal-setting as well as responding to campaign flow, stakeholders’ and internal priorities to adapt plans effectively, managing public education, advocacy, tactic and action/event coordination. The Climate & Labor Organizer is responsible for ensuring that labor partners are engaging strategically within campaigns.
- Alliance-Building: The Climate & Labor Organizer will also be responsible for strengthening and growing our longstanding alliance through broad-based institutional and individual relationship-building and maintenance; building leadership and mobilization capacity of community and labor allies
- Policy Advocacy: Driving political organizing strategy to achieve policy demands, coordinating research and other needs among staff and allies, and directing external strategies such as actions and mobilizations for our climate campaigns.
- Organizational health: Supporting practices that lead toward a caring, collaborative, and effective staff team. Supporting reporting on campaign activities to foundations and other fundraising activities to ensure the organization’s financial sustainability.
- A commitment to social, economic, climate, and racial justice and the labor movement;
- Minimum 3 years of professional organizing experience working in a community/climate organization and/or labor union;
- Strong meeting facilitation, and task delegation skills across a diverse set of organizations and constituents;
- Experience working with policymakers and other diverse stakeholders including community-based organizations
- Ability to independently manage projects from conception to completion, supervise interns and volunteers, and work as part of a team;
- Excellent organizational, writing, and communication skills;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a deadline-driven environment.
- Experience working within an organized labor union;
- Broad understanding of the climate policy landscape and movement;
- Coalition coordination experience;
- Familiarity with policy-making and the New York political landscape at the state and city-level;
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus.
Terms of Employment: This is a full-time position with generous health, retirement, vacation, and other benefits. This is a staff position covered by a collective bargaining agreement. The starting pay for this position is between $66,000–$72,000 annually, dependent on experience.
Application Process: This position is available immediately. Please email email@example.com your cover letter, resume, three references, and where you saw this job posting, with “Climate and Labor Organizer” in the subject line of the email. We will be receiving applications on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
ALIGN takes the health of our employees, families, and communities very seriously. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment.
ALIGN is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The organization encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
We recognize that people from marginalized groups may be less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About ALIGN: The Alliance for a Greater New York
ALIGN: The Alliance for a Greater New York is an alliance of community and labor organizations working together to create good jobs, vibrant communities, and a more accountable democracy for all New Yorkers. ALIGN is the coming together of two long-standing New York community-labor coalitions, New York Jobs with Justice and Urban Agenda. Over the last two decades, we have been at the forefront of championing worker rights and fair economic development policies, winning quality jobs with career ladders for low-income public housing residents, and creating green jobs through municipal building retrofits. For more information about our work, visit www.alignny.org.