This is a political leadership position in the organization, responsible for helping to develop our overarching strategy (in collaboration with the BSU Leadership Team), cultivating member leaders, and building volunteer teams to carry out our campaign work, bringing the voices and feedback of those teams into central decision-making processes.
The position reports to PA Stands Up’s Deputy Organizing Director and is also accountable to BSU’s Leadership Team. Berks Stands Up is part of a larger statewide organization, PA Stands Up, and this position will include some responsibilities and interaction with the larger organization (e.g., monthly all-staff calls).
Berks County, PA (remote is possible during the pandemic)
$20/hr for 20 hrs per week.
- Support the development of our housing justice campaign, including coordinating with allies, particularly Make the Road, mobilizing volunteers and supporters, and developing a deep canvassing program around this issue. Tasks will include:
- Regular meetings with a core group of volunteers responsible for the campaign
- Developing materials (scripts, trainings, and more) to support a deep canvass program around housing justice
- Recruiting and training volunteers to deep canvass around this issue, as well as developing volunteer leaders to run deep canvassing shifts
- Drive fundraising and membership work for BSU, including converting subscribers to members, cultivating larger donors, assisting with regular new member meetings, and recruiting volunteers to hold membership cultivation work.
- Write our weekly letter to the BSU base, in coordination with volunteer comms leaders.
- Attend weekly Berks Leadership Team meetings, currently held via zoom on Tuesdays at 4:30PM.
- Other tasks as needed by the Leadership Team within the 20 hrs.
- People skills are a must for this position, as are delegation and a commitment to developing the leadership of others. Our work is carried out by our volunteers and members; staff help to provide systems and support to carry out this work, as well as vision and leadership to help energize our base.
- Demonstrated experience working in rural areas and/or communities of color. We have an office in Reading, and prefer this organizer to live in Berks County, but working remotely is possible during the pandemic.
- Strong commitment to racial, social, economic and gender justice
- Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
- Experience managing volunteers
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a RESUME and LETTER (1-2 pages) that describes your interest, experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background. We ask that you complete your application on our internal recruiting site here.
PA Stands Up embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer.
Source: Pennsylvania Stands Up Jobs