Position: Senior Communications Strategist
Description: full time, start date ASAP
Location: Minnesota (We are temporarily remote but home address must be in MN or WI)
Education: Whatever you got
Salary: Salary will be set commensurate with experience and will include a full package of benefits including health and dental insurance, matching retirement, investment in personal development, and an expansive time off policy. Range: $58,000-$69,000
Black Visions is seeking a Senior Communications Strategist to support the day-to-day
implementation of our strategic communications work. The Senior Communications Strategist will work closely with the Co-Director and Digital Strategist to develop, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive communications strategy for the organization.
Black Visions is a leading organization on the ground in Minnesota advancing the narratives of abolition and the strategies to get us there while also expanding upon the conversations and impacts of state violence on Black people across this country. This person will join the communications team and lead with bold, visionary values to develop and disseminate communications materials and training, to track and analyze media for narrative intervention, and maintain relationships with local and and national media, and more.
The ideal candidate has 3-5 years of experience in developing and implementing communications strategy and campaigns with an analysis of race, class, gender and ability. They are self-organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and accountable to deadlines. They are able to work creatively, independently and collaboratively. They know how to authentically engage Black people and other key audiences and are willing to be innovative and strategic. They have previous management experience and are comfortable juggling multiple tasks and timelines. Most critical, this candidate must be excited, able, and willing to work within the nuances of a new and emerging Black organization in Minnesota.
ABOUT BLACK VISIONS:
Since 2017, Black Visions has been putting into practice the lessons learned from organizations before us, as well as our direct experience in building within the Movement for Black Lives, in order to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota.
Throughout our intentional growth process, we aim to center our work in healing and transformative justice principles, sustainability, and developing Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns. By building movements from the ground up with an integrated model, we are creating the conditions for long term success and transformation.
Mission: Black Visions is a Black-led, Queer and Trans centering organization whose mission is to organize powerful, connected Black communities and dismantle systems of violence.
Vision: Black Visions believes in a future where all Black people have autonomy, safety is community-led, and we are in right relationship within our ecosystems.
Black Visions Collective is currently in a period of growth, accountability, and development. All prospective applicants must be willing to grow with the organization as we move into our next iteration.
- Develop and disseminate communications collateral like press releases, web copy, training materials, email and print newsletters, membership outreach materials, communications-related reports, etc.
- Assist in developing and implementing communications campaigns and initiatives
- Develop and maintain cohesive collateral materials for organization
- Work with Co-Director to adjust editorial and messaging strategy to support engagement
- Track and analyze both national media trends and organizational-specific media
- Build, coordinate, and maintain media list and relationships with key local and national media
- Developing, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive communications rapid response plan
- Developing and massaging relationships with reporters and outlets and driving them to ecosystem members who are shaping our collective narrative
- Providing management, thought partnership, strategic guidance, and professional development to the Digital Strategist on an as-needed basis
- Providing thought partnership, strategic guidance, and professional development to the Communications Working Group on an as-needed basis
- Developing, implementing, and evaluating training modules for communications-related tools for organizational staff and membership
- Help with special events
- Other duties as assigned
- 3-5 years of experience developing and implementing communications strategy and content
- Ability to support multiple staff/volunteers/interns in the role of manager
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize competing tasks and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Excel, PowerPoint, and MSWord
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Common sense, flexibility, and teamwork skills with the ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Proclivity toward curiosity
- Steadfast commitment to collective liberation and ability to speak and unite those behind Black Vision’s mission and vision
- Time and project management skills; ability to pivot to meet current events and organizational needs
Black Visions recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, national origin, documentation status, disability, veteran status, marital status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
Womxn, Black and LGBTQ people strongly urged to apply and self-identify in the application.
Applications will only be accepted electronically. Please email a resume, cover letter, and two diverse work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Senior Communications Strategist Application, Your Full Name.” Please include a daytime phone number where we can contact you. Please also share contact information for two references. We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible, and are accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
In your cover letter, please address the following (one page):
- Do you seek to be/do you identify as a communicator in service to all Black lives? Why or why not?
- What part of communications work is meaningful to you?
- What else qualifies you for this role?
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com