In this moment of both challenge and opportunity, we are looking to bring on two (2) experienced Regional Organizing Directors to guide our grassroots political power building across six county level chapters.
We are seeking Regional Organizers Directors who would:
- be thrilled to be part of growing and innovative independent political organization
- fit our culture of courageous leadership and playful camaraderie, and
- share a deep love for people and a ferocious commitment to power and transformation
These two positions will be the beating heart of our statewide base-building efforts, responsible for leading the innovation, implementation and expansion of our county-level work, while supporting and developing our talented county-level organizers and their exceptional member leaders.
Broadly, each Regional Organizing Director will be responsible for the following:
- Direct supervision of multiple county-level organizers with weekly check-ins, regular coaching and deep attention to their development as movement leaders.
- Co-leadership of a staff organizing team focused on experimentation, innovation and documentation of the Carolina Federation’s emerging base building model
- Support for member-led issue and electoral campaigns at the county and statewide level
- Support for intensive training of our members at the county and statewide level
- Significant involvement in the formation of one to two new county-level chapters in 2021-22.
QUALITIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN OUR REGIONAL ORGANIZING DIRECTORS
Our organization values the recruitment of staff with strong political alignment and key leadership qualities that match both the role and the kind of work we do. This is because we believe that skills and competencies can be taught, while values, alignment and leadership qualities are more deeply ingrained. Because the work we do is political, fast-paced, deeply relational, and about power, we look for many of the following qualities:
- Politically Clear: You know why building power through elections, issue campaigns, and transformative organizing is essential. You are convinced that racial, economic, gender, and environmental justice are what we need and you lift up the leadership and dignity of working-class people and people of color.
- A Leader Who Unleashes More Leadership: You take responsibility for motivating others, coordinating effective collective action and building powerful teams — even in the face of obstacles. But most of all you unleash leadership in others, igniting responsibility and ownership in those you lead.
- Interdependent: You bring your best, rely on the strengths of others and know that we are responsible for each other’s well-being.
Courageous and Determined: You draw from deep values and beliefs so you continue to take action towards goals, even in the face of change, fear, loss, conflict, and uncertainty
- Ambitious, Innovative, Relentless: You believe that you and others are capable of greatness. You believe not only that we can win but that we have a duty to win. When things get difficult you get creative and keep trying and learning until we succeed.
THE SKILLS AND COMPETANCIES WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN OUR REGIONAL ORGANIZING DIRECTORS
These are the skills and competencies that we are looking for in our Regional Organizing Directors. Because these two positions will require close collaboration with our experienced county-level organizers and highly engaged member leaders, we see these skills as core prerequisites for success in this position.
- Supervision: At least two years of experience advising, coaching and managing staff organizers, providing clear direction and support that enables their success and the success of their teams and organizations.
- Base Building: Experience bringing others into community organizations and issue campaigns including growing participation and membership base, especially communities of color and working class communities. Experience in designing base-building efforts is especially welcome.
- Local Campaign Development: Experience designing and implementing in two or more issue campaigns that combine short-term goals for winning specific victories with long-term goals for winning power for our people.
- Training and Leadership Development: Experience leading skills trainings for community members for their leadership development and organizing skills, experience in encouraging deeper engagement and learning from staff and members and experience identifying areas for new learning and development among staff and leaders.
Please note that we require applicants for this position to have previous experience in supervision of organizers. Our county-level organizers typically join us on staff with between one and four years of existing organizing experience and we invest heavily in their movement leadership over several more years. Applicants without previous experience in supervising organizers will unfortunately not be considered for this position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Carolina Federation
The Carolina Federation is a statewide organization that brings local people together across race and the rural-urban divide to build political and electoral power in their own communities and across North Carolina.
At a time when the right-wing still holds power in North Carolina and far too many campaigns overlook the importance of long-term investment in local communities, we are developing a bold approach to multi-racial organizing and voter engagement for our state. Our approach to building power is defined by our relentless commitment to bringing new people into political action, our deep investment in local leadership and our intentional integration of cultural work with community and electoral organizing. By unleashing the full potential of our diverse communities we can create real change in the lives of our people, win elections that were previously unwinnable and transform the political terrain. By rooting ourselves in our movement traditions, our grassroots democratic practice and our solidarity with each other, we can dismantle the concentrated corporate power that seeks to control our government and our economy.