About the Carolina Federation
The Carolina Federation is a statewide organization that brings local people together across race and the rural-urban divide to build political and electoral power in their own communities and across North Carolina.
At a time when the right-wing still holds power in North Carolina and far too many campaigns overlook the importance of long-term investment in local communities, we are developing a bold approach to multi-racial organizing and voter engagement for our state. By unleashing the full potential of our diverse communities, we can create real change in the lives of our people, win elections that were previously unwinnable and transform the political terrain. Our approach to building power is defined by our relentless commitment to bringing new people into political action, our deep investment in local leadership, and our intentional integration of cultural work with community and electoral organizing.
In 2020, we are faced with the challenge of supporting our local multi-racial chapters and affiliates to grow their own leadership, political power and voting base, while also living through the dual pandemics of viral contagion and racialized violence that have ongoing, devastating impacts on our leaders’ lives and their communities. And we must do so while also moving forward our plans for the critical, large scale voter contact necessary to deliver key electoral victories needed to build the long-term political and electoral power of our people.
Indeed, in this moment we are contesting not only for the immediate needs of our communities to be safe, but also for the future of our state and the nation. North Carolina is a key battleground between the right-wing and our vision of multi-racial, progressive populism. Our ability to demonstrate the power of transformative electoral organizing to move new people into action — in the face of overwhelming community crisis — will be put squarely to the test this year.
About the Regional Field Director Position
In this electoral moment of both challenge and opportunity, we are looking to bring on four talented and experienced Regional Field Directors to build our 2020 field program, with a particular emphasis on building county-wide voter contact programs, and closely aligning those efforts with our long-term power building efforts at the local level.
In order to prioritize the safety and wellbeing of our organizers and the communities we organize, and in compliance with COVID-19 public health guidelines, our field program will initially be entirely remote. We will only move to in-person events and canvassing if it becomes convincingly safe to do so. With this in mind, we are also seeking Regional Field Directors who bring resourcefulness to the challenges of digital organizing, and who are ready to bring serious time management to remote work.
Broadly, our Regional Field Directors will be responsible for all aspects of our field implementation in one county, including:
- Managing and coaching a team of organizers, including leading daily team check-ins and weekly one-to-ones.
- Providing support and accountability for organizers to meet ambitious direct voter contact goals.
- Building neighborhood volunteer teams to plan and do direct voter contact.
- Planning direct voter contact events across the county to meet organizing goals.
- Planning and leading county-wide organizing events, including mass meetings and trainings.
- Developing the leadership of organizers and volunteers.
- Working closely with local leadership to ensure that our field activity is supporting our long-term power building work in our counties.
- Participating in direct voter contact alongside organizers and volunteers.
In addition, we would be excited about a Regional Field Director who would:
- Be thrilled to help grow an innovative political organization alongside an extraordinary team
- Fit our culture of courageous leadership and playful camaraderie, and
- Share our deep love of people and ferocious commitment to power and transformation.
What We’re Looking For In A Regional Field Director
These are the types of skills, competencies and qualities that we are looking for in a Regional Field Director:
- A core commitment to building power through elections, issue campaigns, and organizing, centered around the leadership of working-class people and people of color.
- At least 1-2 cycles of electoral organizing experience, or comparable experience in labor, community, or movement organizing.
- Experience building and leading teams. Ideally, experience managing teams of staff organizers, including holding them accountable to quantitative and qualitative goals.
- The ideal candidate will either have prior experience as a Regional Field Director (or comparable position), or as an exceptionally strong organizer.
- A desire to learn and grow as an organizer and a leader.
Benefits and Compensation
This is a full-time, salaried position at the equivalent of $50,000 a year, as well as employer-based healthcare. This position runs through the end of November 2020.
Location and Travel
We are looking for Regional Field Directors for four counties: Durham, Forsyth, Guilford, and New Hanover. This job will initially be based remotely in compliance with social distancing guidelines, and then based in the assigned county, with occasional travel to other counties for statewide trainings or meetings. The ideal candidate will either live in (or near) one of these four counties, or be willing to relocate.
This position requires flexible and (at-times) long hours, including nights and weekends, especially during the campaign season.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “RFD Application – [Your Initials]”. For example, “RFD Application – GGH”.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning in the second week of June. We are ideally looking for candidates who would be ready to begin work in early July.
In your email or cover letter, please include how you heard about this position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com