Citizen Action of New York is one of the fastest-growing statewide grassroots organizations in the country. We fight for social, racial and economic justice, and an America that works for all of us, not just the wealthy and well-connected. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local and federal level, including education, health care, money in politics, taxing the rich, and corporate accountability. In order to continue to grow our statewide power, we must strengthen our local chapter and involve people who are directly impacted by injustice in the work of creating a just society. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions and we want to continue to build power in New York state with a strong local chapter that will exert statewide influence in order to make concrete changes in people’s lives. Citizen Action of New York has eight regional grassroots offices, including one based in Buffalo.
We are currently seeking a COMMUNITY ORGANIZER for the Rochester office. This is a full time position starting immediately. If you have strong interpersonal and communication skills, like working with a diverse group of people and are committed to social change, come join our growing organization!
Primary responsibilities include but not limited to:
● Outreach to grow the base of prospective volunteers through community outreach, door knocking, phone banks, canvasses, tabling, petitioning, and other activities that build visibility of Citizen Action in the community;
● Recruit, engage, and develop volunteer leaders to organize phone banks, canvassing, events, lobbying, committee meetings, and other chapter activities that advance the strategic goals of our campaigns;
● Maintain volunteer lists using VAN and other internal databases;
● Recruit dues paying members to Citizen Action of New York and other fundraising events;
● Organize direct action events that engage the community to win campaigns that create concrete changes in people’s lives; What we’re looking for from you:
● Great people skills;
● Proven to work well with diverse communities and a commitment to promoting racial and gender justice;
● Pays attention to detail and works well under pressure of deadlines and accountability systems;
● Positive attitude and work ethic toward social change;
● Skills for organizing online using social media tools as well as in the field.
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience. Full health benefits.
To Apply: Please upload a resume and cover letter. Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer and we seek to build an organization that aggressively pursues a racial justice agenda. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
To Apply: https://nexusmanagement.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=129
About Citizen Action of NY
Citizen Action of New York is a statewide, grassroots, member-led organization that fights for social, racial, economic and environmental justice. We organize in communities across New York State to build power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions to win on key issues and elect progressive candidates at the local, state and federal levels.