We The Action (WTA) seeks a dynamic organizer to grow and mobilize our community of 45,000 volunteer lawyers and to tackle our country’s most pressing problems—protecting the vote, advancing racial justice, defending vulnerable communities, furthering gender equity and reproductive freedom, and more. The Associate Director of Volunteer Attorney Engagement and Recruitment will recruit new lawyers to join WTA and create meaningful engagement and educational opportunities for lawyers to deepen their connection to WTA.
ABOUT WE THE ACTION
WTA is a community of nonprofit organizations and volunteer lawyers, working together to advance social justice. Since launching in 2017, more than 42,000 lawyers have joined We The Action to apply their specialized skills and experience to more than 500 nonprofit organizations working on our nation’s most pressing problems — protecting voting rights, advocating for racial justice, defending immigrant communities, supporting people impacted by the COVID-19, advancing gender equity and reproductive rights, and more.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. We shift culture, systems and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Our initiatives take on the biggest issues of our time — strengthening democracy, fostering civic engagement and voter participation, fighting for gender equity, and more. Civic Nation is home to six initiatives: It’s On Us, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, End Rape On Campus, United State of Women, We The Action and When We All Vote.
- Recruit lawyers and law students to join WTA, using both digital and in-person tactics
- Build relationships with law firms and bar associations across the country, inviting their organizations and networks to join the We The Action community
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to spearhead a public relations campaign aimed at recruiting new volunteer lawyers to join We The Action
- Develop and lead virtual and in-person events to engage volunteer attorneys to deepen their connection with We The Action, in collaboration with the Partnerships Department. Examples of events include in-person conferences for volunteer attorneys, virtual roundtable discussions, education or training series, social convenings, and more
- Represent WTA at conferences, with bar associations, and more
- 5+ years of experience in legal practice, member recruitment, pro bono or volunteer coordination, campaign work, community organizing, or a similarly relevant area
- Demonstrated success using both digital and non-digital strategies to organize people to volunteer or take action
- Proven experience running effective programs or campaigns requiring extensive cross-department collaboration
- Demonstrated relationships within the pro bono legal community and experience with the idiosyncrasies of lawyers and the legal ecosystem (firms, bar associations, law schools/clinics)
- Proven ability integrating major social media and messaging platforms (e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, MailChimp) into engagement strategies, in collaboration with communications and design colleagues
- Law degree preferred, but not required
- Excellent and flexible communicator (and public speaker) who can adapt our message to different audiences (individual volunteers, institutions, etc.) and demo our sophisticated platform tools in a format that anyone can understand
- Entrepreneurial and a strong strategic thinker and creative problem-solver, who would enjoy developing, running, and constantly refining a program to recruit new lawyers and to engage our existing network
- Loves our mission and is eager to recruit and engage lawyers in innovative pro bono/volunteer work
- Ability to use data in Airtable or similar tools to monitor success and identify opportunities and is comfortable identifying and learning new technology solutions
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, with a commitment to excellence in execution and follow through
- Comfort working in a start-up environment
- Demonstrates good judgment and practicality, as well as personal kindness, diplomacy, good humor, and generosity of spirit
- Ability to travel within the United States up to 20% of the time.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Washington, DC-based salary range for this position is $76,200 – $90,000 (will be adjusted for cost of labor for the incumbent’s work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Civic Nation is committed to protecting our employees and our communities from COVID-19. Toward that goal, and in consideration of guidance released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and a variety of public health authorities and professional organizations, Civic Nation has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a term and condition of employment at Civic Nation unless an exemption or deferral has been approved. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after they get their second dose of a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or two weeks after a single dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
New employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date unless an exemption due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice is granted.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume here. The cover letter, addressed to Katie Waldo, should be concise (1 page), compelling, and include at least two examples of creative ways you’ve recruited lawyers or volunteers. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org