Civic Nation seeks a Director of Student Engagement to lead When We All Vote’s (WWAV) My School Votes’ (MSV) student community. The Director of Student Engagement will be responsible for supporting the overall strategy and day-to-day execution of the My School Votes program by working hand-in-hand and building relationships with students, educators, and partners. This candidate will play an integral role in our growing team and program by performing a host of duties related to engaging students, growing our network, and supporting schools in voter registration activities. The Director of Student Engagement reports to the Senior Director of My School Votes. This position is a remote working role.
ABOUT MY SCHOOL VOTES
My School Votes (MSV) is a program of When We All Vote that builds student-led voter registration clubs in high schools across the country. My School Votes ensures high school students are registered and ready to vote in every election by building civic engagement into school culture. Students learn how to organize, build campaigns around issues they care about, and register their school’s entire student body. In this process, My School Votes is developing the next generation of leaders.
ABOUT WHEN WE ALL VOTE
When We All Vote is a leading national, nonpartisan initiative on a mission to change the culture around voting, increase participation in each and every election, and close the race and age voting gap. Created by Michelle Obama, When We All Vote brings together individuals, institutions, brands, and organizations to register new voters across the country and advance civic education for the entire family and voters of every age to build an informed and engaged electorate for today and generations to come. When We All Vote empowers supporters and volunteers to take action through voting, advocating for their rights, and holding their elected officials accountable.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. Civic Nation shifts culture, systems, and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Civic Nation is home to seven national initiatives and campaigns: ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, Change Collective, It’s On Us, Online for All, SAVE On Student Debt, We The Action, and When We All Vote.
- Work with the Senior Director and Managing Director to develop a comprehensive student engagement strategy to recruit, onboard, and train Student Ambassadors through a year-long voter registration program
- Execute a weekly student-led Student Ambassador program that focuses on registering young voters in key states
- Host weekly national training calls and as-needed training presentations for students, educators, and partners
- Manage several digital platforms working with the digital team for taking action and communication
- Hold Student Ambassadors accountable to metrics and goals; ensure timely and accurate data management and reporting
- Work with Data Coordinator to develop tools to track progress
- Work with the Communications team to tell the story of the youth vote program
- Work and support management of organizers
- Perform other duties as assigned
- 7+ years of experience working in organizing or issue advocacy and voter registration ideally with students.
- Effectively built, trained, and managed large volunteer teams.
- Creating, reviewing, and implementing training presentations
- Building and managing online communities and an understanding of how young people use social media
- Establishing and maintaining relationships within and across When We All Vote, Civic Nation, and partner districts and organizations
- An understanding of the education landscape
- Ability to work with diverse communities and individuals with varying perspectives
- Well versed in education and familiarity with civic engagement and the political landscape
- A solid commitment to When We All Vote’s mission
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and manage projects
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems independently, effectively, and creatively
- Ability to simultaneously juggle multiple projects while also consistently meeting goals
- Excellent analytical, oral communication, teamwork, and people skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and openness in responding to changing work priorities
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The maximum salary for this position is $88,000 (will be adjusted for the cost of labor for the incumbent’s work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
Candidates can expect the following hiring process and timeline (please note that this timeline may be subject to change):
February 19 – February 23: First-Round Interviews: Introductory Call
February 26 – February 29 Second-Round Interviews: Leadership & Assessment
March 4 – 5: Final Interviews
Week of March 4: Hiring decision announced
All candidates will be notified via email of the status of their application on or before the completion of the search.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume through our Careers page. The cover letter, addressed to Amanda Hollowell, should be concise, compelling, and include why you would like to work for Civic Nation. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal-opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org