Civic Nation seeks a strategic, dynamic, and vibrant Executive Director (ED) to lead our When We All Vote (WWAV) initiative as it works to increase voter participation, close the age and race voting gaps, and change the culture around voting. This seasoned leader must combine expertise in marketing, communications, partnerships, and organizing, with a passion for building a more civic culture and empowering communities to exercise their right to vote.
Often acting as the public face of the initiative, the ED will drive the strategy and programming at When We All Vote and support fundraising efforts for the initiative. They will lead a high-performing team and oversee coordination with other departments at Civic Nation that support WWAV’s mission. The ED will continue to build the initiative’s brand and organizing efforts. They will also help lead key national coalitions and partnerships with the civic, entertainment, sports, private sector, and advocacy communities.
ABOUT WHEN WE ALL VOTE
When We All Vote is a leading national, nonpartisan initiative on a mission to change the culture around voting, increase participation in each and every election, and close the race and age voting gap. Created by Michelle Obama, When We All Vote brings together individuals, institutions, brands, and organizations to register new voters across the country and advance civic education for the entire family and voters of every age to build an informed and engaged electorate for today and generations to come. When We All Vote empowers supporters and volunteers to take action through voting, advocating for their rights, and holding their elected officials accountable.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. We shift culture, behavior systems, and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders, and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Our initiatives take on the biggest issues of our time — strengthening democracy, fostering civic engagement and voter participation, fighting for gender equity, and more. Civic Nation is home to seven initiatives: ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, Change Collective, End Rape On Campus, It’s On Us, United State of Women, We the Action, and When We All Vote.
- Bring vision and leadership to the initiative, developing innovative plans and strategies to achieve the mission while modeling and upholding the values of When We All Vote.
- Serve as When We All Vote’s primary spokesperson to partners, the media, and the general public.
- Manage high-level relationships with WWAV co-chairs, cultural, media, corporate, and community partners, and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the impact, visibility, and credibility of the initiative.
- Drive creative marketing and communications strategies and partnerships to strengthen the initiative’s reach and impact.
- Lead strategic planning and program execution, including the development of the strategic plan; establishing performance metrics to analyze and support decision-making; monitoring timely progress and success; and, ultimately, achieving established objectives.
- Oversee the hiring and retention of staff, including ongoing staff development, performance management, and compensation, with support and partnership from Civic Nation leadership.
- Foster and maintain a strong work culture, including promoting a culture of continuous learning and feedback, and building the capacity and skills of the staff. Ensure the team functions as an aligned and cohesive body that informs decision-making.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of WWAV, including actively engaging in fiscal management through budgetary development and oversight.
- Collaborate with Civic Nation Development Team and CEO on fundraising strategy, funding proposals and reports, and funder prospecting.
- As a Civic Nation Senior Leadership Team member, participate in regular leadership meetings and foster relationships, collaboration, and coordination across departments and initiatives in support of WWAV and Civic Nation’s mission and impact.
- 12+ years of relevant leadership experience in campaigns, civic engagement, nonprofit organizations, government, marketing, or corporate environments.
- 5+ years of experience managing and leading high-performing organizations, departments, and/or teams.
- Experience working with high-profile public figures.
- Proven experience managing and overseeing multi-million dollar programmatic and/or organizational budgets, strategic planning, and organizational and individual goal-setting, including establishing metrics for success for departments and individuals, timelines for execution, and performance evaluation.
- Established relationships or experience working with civic, advocacy, and entertainment organizations.
- Entrepreneurial, strategic, and solutions-oriented, with a strong sense of responsibility and integrity.
- A motivating, supportive, collaborative, decisive, optimistic leader with a proven track record of leading teams to success, scaling organizations for impact, and change management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a track record of strong public speaking.
- Excellent donor, corporate, and media relations skills.
- Success in establishing relationships with individuals and organizations of influence, including funders, partner agencies, and volunteers.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Strong financial management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
- Proven dedication to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- High degree of comfort with change management within a startup-like environment.
- Comfortability and willingness to travel for special meetings and events.
Candidates can expect the following hiring process and timeline (please note that this timeline is subject to change):
April 24 – May 5: First-Round Interviews
May 24 – June 2: Two-part Second-Round Interview: Executive Leadership & Assignment
June 5 – June 9: Third Round Interview with Board Leadership
June 19 – June 30: Final Interview
Week of June 30: Hiring Decision announced
Candidates will be notified of the status of their candidacy throughout the hiring process.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Washington, DC-based salary range for this position is $170,000 – $210,000 (will be adjusted for cost of labor for the incumbent’s work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Civic Nation is committed to protecting our employees and our communities from COVID-19. Toward that goal, and in consideration of guidance released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and a variety of public health authorities and professional organizations, Civic Nation has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a term and condition of employment at Civic Nation unless an exemption or deferral has been approved. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after they get their second dose of a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or two weeks after a single dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
New employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date unless an exemption due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice is granted.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume here. The cover letter, addressed to Richard B. Hall, Vice President, People & Culture, should be concise, compelling, and address your passion for our mission and your vision for leading this work. Applications will be accepted until April 21, 2023.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Civic Nation
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. We shift culture, systems and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Our initiatives take on the biggest issues of our time — strengthening democracy, fostering civic engagement and voter participation, fighting for gender equity, and more. Civic Nation is home to six initiatives: It’s On Us, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, End Rape On Campus, United State of Women, We The Action and When We All Vote.