When We All Vote is currently seeking motivated high school students and educators to apply for the 2024 My School Votes Ambassadors program. The selected participants will be hired as Ambassadors and responsible for expanding the My School Votes network, registering their communities to vote, and building community with other civically engaged educators and students across the country. Ambassadors will form a collaborative team in their school composed of one educator and one student, together, leading the work, which means applicants who are educators must select a student leader in their school to collaborate with, and applicants who are students must select an educator.
Both the educator and student will receive expert training on relational and digital organizing tactics, civic leadership, and voter registration strategies.
ABOUT MY SCHOOL VOTES
My School Votes (MSV) is a program of When We All Vote that builds student-led voter registration clubs in high schools across the country. My School Votes ensures high school students are registered and ready to vote in every election by building civic engagement into school culture. Students learn how to organize, build campaigns around issues they care about, and register their school’s entire student body. In this process, My School Votes is developing the next generation of leaders.
ABOUT WHEN WE ALL VOTE
When We All Vote is a leading national, nonpartisan initiative on a mission to change the culture around voting, increase participation in each and every election, and close the race and age voting gap. Created by Michelle Obama, When We All Vote brings together individuals, institutions, brands, and organizations to register new voters across the country and advance civic education for the entire family and voters of every age to build an informed and engaged electorate for today and generations to come. When We All Vote empowers supporters and volunteers to take action through voting, advocating for their rights, and holding their elected officials accountable.
MSV Ambassadors will have the opportunity to drive the direction of My School Votes, deliver on our mission to close the race and age gap in voting, make a generational impact in their school communities, and lead other students and educators to do the same in theirs.
Ambassadors can expect to gain:
- A network of other committed civic activists and community leaders;
- Deep training and experience in relational, digital, and remote organizing to educate, register and turnout voters;
- For students, gain professional internship experience, and for educators, expand their professional skills with a leading civic organization;
- Individualized coaching from national When We All Vote program leaders;
- An opportunity to drive the direction of My School Votes and deliver on our mission of closing the race and age gap in voting and changing the culture around youth participation in our democracy.
Educators and Student Ambassadors must:
- Reside in one of the following states: Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, or Pennsylvania.
- Commit to the full 16-week program divided into two semesters with 20 hours each week, including team meetings on Tuesdays and some Thursdays (2).
- Register at least 200 people in your school or community to vote in the calendar year.
- Host a total of at least 4 voter registration events
- Be a junior or sophomore (for the 2023 – 2024 school year).
- Be at least 16 years old
- Be a school teacher, administrator, advisor, counselor, tutor or in-school program coordinator
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative constructively and professionally.
- An open-minded approach to operating within a dynamic organization.
- Ability to work with diverse communities and individuals with varying perspectives.
- Deep dedication to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This 16-week program is divided into two semesters of 8 weeks each (March-June and August-November). First semester will run from March to June and the second semester will run from August to November. Ambassadors and their counterparts will each receive a $1,400 stipend after completing the full duration of the program. Ambassadors are expected to work in-person in their local communities, and will collaborate remotely with MSV staff.
To apply, submit a resume and complete all of the application questions by visiting civicnation.org/careers. Applications will be accepted until February 19, 2024.
For resume tips, tricks, and a template check here. Remember, your resume does not need to be perfect, we just want to get a sense of your passions and experience. The My School Votes team will review each application and interview potential candidates during the last weeks of February. If you have any questions, please reach out to Adriana Ontiveros at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Process and Program Policies:
- Applications should be completed by visiting Civic Nation’s Careers Page
- Applicants are required to submit a complete application by the priority deadline of February 19, 2024.
- The My School Votes team will review each application and interview potential candidates during the first weeks of February, with final notices going out by email by the end of the month.
- The My School Votes team may provide exceptions to the procedures and requirements contained in this document as deemed appropriate and necessary.
- Ambassadors will be provided with a stipend of $1,400 for the year. Please note: this income is considered taxable.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal-opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.