Civic Nation seeks a Gender Equity Communications Manager for its Communication team. Reporting to the Director of Communications, this candidate will be responsible for media outreach and crafting messaging across Civic Nation’s gender equity initiatives. This includes preparing written materials, building and maintaining relationships with reporters and helping to design and execute creative communications campaigns.
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS TEAM
The communications team is focused on telling the story of Civic Nation’s work. Through creative messaging, digital activations, media relations and more the communications team lifts up the work of all seven Civic Nation initiatives. This role will work primarily with the Civic Nation Gender Equity Initiatives – It’s On Us, End Rape On Campus and the United State of Women.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a home for changemakers who inspire, educate, and activate people around the issues that will define this generation. We empower people to take on the biggest challenges of our time — strengthening democracy; fostering civic engagement, social justice, and voter participation; addressing public health crises; fighting for gender equity; and more. At Civic Nation we house some of the most innovative campaigns organizing for progress across the country including ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, It’s On Us, Made to Save, We The Action, End Rape On Campus, The United State of Women, and When We All Vote, co-chaired by Michelle Obama.
Civic Nation drives real, meaningful change by shifting culture, systems, and policy. We organize at every level and serve as a connector — of people and programs, of grassroots activists and leaders of industries and organizations, of ideas and the resources to make them a reality. Our goal is to empower individuals, companies, institutions, and organizations to create a more inclusive, equitable America.
- Execute media, public relations, and communications strategies for the gender equity initiatives.
- Create, write, edit, and send press releases, talking points, op-eds, advisories and other written materials.
- Manage media outreach and cultivate and oversee relationships with key reporters and outlets that reach the initiative target audiences.
- Work directly with the EVP of Communications and Communications Director to develop campaign strategies and action plans, and ensure initiatives are prioritizing equity and inclusion.
- Work closely with gender equity initiative staff to understand the full scope of their work and help them meet strategic communications goals.
- Partner with the Press Assistant to respond to incoming media inquiries, prepare initiative leaders, and follow-up with reporters.
- Partner with digital, partnerships, talent, and other teams around rollouts.
- Work on large and smaller scale events with stakeholders, thought leaders, media, etc.
- Partner with Gender Equity Initiatives in their work with communications firms on media strategy as needed.
- 4+ years of experience in communications, public relations, media relations, or press management; primarily with advocacy, social justice, policy, and/or a political focus.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to distill information in a way that is accessible to students, administrators, and our general audience.
- A track record of getting results in a fast-paced communications environment, balancing multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- Newsroom, political, agency or nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Prior experience in the gender equity space is a plus.
- A passion for gender equity issues.
- Ability to expertly execute tactics as part of an integrated approach to communications, media relations, storytelling, events, publications, and digital media.
- Exceptional writing, editing, proofreading, copy editing and organizational skills with an impeccable attention to detail. Proficient knowledge of AP style.
- Ability to provide rapid response support in reaction to breaking news. Top-notch understanding of the news cycle and media environment.
- Strong interpersonal, network and leadership skills. Comfort and confidence engaging with diverse populations. Strong ability to listen, understand, connect, earn trust of, and collaborate with a diverse group of people and employees at all levels of the organization.
- Comfort in a rapidly changing environment and demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities at any given time.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Washington, DC-based salary range for this position is $70,000 – $80,000 (will be adjusted for cost of labor for the incumbent’s work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Civic Nation is committed to protecting our employees and our communities from COVID-19. Toward that goal, and in consideration of guidance released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and a variety of public health authorities and professional organizations, Civic Nation has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a term and condition of employment at Civic Nation unless an exemption or deferral has been approved. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after they get their second dose of a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or two weeks after a single dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
New employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date unless an exemption due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice is granted.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume at this link. The cover letter addressed to Ashlynn Profit, should be concise, compelling, and include why you would like to work for Civic Nation. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org