Civic Nation seeks a Director of Research & Program Development for our college sexual assault organizing and prevention program It’s On Us. The Director of Research & Program Development will be responsible for conducting and publishing independent research, leading ongoing evaluation of It’s On Us’s peer-education programs, and developing new sexual assault prevention education programs and supplemental materials for use by our our national network of campus chapters. This role will largely focus on research and the development of peer-education prevention programs aimed at transforming individual attitudes and behaviors towards sexual assault and dating violence in ways that shift broader social/culture norms within campus communities. This position requires extensive knowledge of best practices for conducting research with historically hard to reach student populations on sensitive topics, robust cross-functional project management skills, a deep understanding of the complexities of sexual violence prevention and response methods, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
The Director of Research & Program Development, It’s On Us, is a remote position that reports to the It’s On Us Executive Director. This position will require travel.
ABOUT IT’S ON US
It’s On Us is building the movement to combat campus sexual assault by engaging all students, including young men, through grassroots organizing, prevention education programs, and large-scale culture change campaigns. Founded as an initiative of the Obama-Biden White House, It’s On Us is the largest student organizing program of its kind. IOU chapters have led more than 10,000+ educational programs on more than 500 college campuses in all 50 States.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. Civic Nation shifts culture, systems, and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Seven initiatives and campaigns are a part of the Civic Nation family: When We All Vote, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, It’s On Us, We The Action, the Change Collective, Online for All, and SAVE On Student Debt.
The Director of Research & Program Development, It’s On Us, will be responsible for:
- Leading It’s On Us’s independent research projects, which includes, but is not limited to: creating research proposals; managing project plans, timelines, and budgets; securing IRB approval (when necessary); interviewing, selecting, and managing outside vendors/contractors to support data collection; completing analysis of collected research; authoring research reports and supplementary materials; and, leading coordination of relevant Civic Nation Hub teams that support It’s On Us’s independent research projects.
- Identifying gaps in existing research relevant to our mission and making recommendations for future research projects to the Executive Director.
- Establishing and monitoring data collection processes for ongoing evaluation of It’s On Us’s peer-education programs in collaboration with Civic Nation’s Data & Technology team.
- Making data-informed revisions to It’s On Us’s peer-education programs and supplemental resources.
- Drafting, piloting, and launching 1-2 new peer-education programs and 3-4 supplemental resources per year.
- Supporting the Associate Director of Campus Organizing and Associate Director of Men’s Engagement & Special Projects in training the It’s On Us national network of student leaders in It’s On Us’s prevention programs to ensure the program’s peer-education goals are being realized.
- Collaborating with the Associate Director of Campus Organizing to develop the It’s On Us Fall and Spring Week of Action programming for students to ensure it meets It’s On Us’s peer-education goals.
- Serving as It’s On Us’s primary point of contact with Civic Nation’s Data & Technology team, which houses research at Civic Nation at large.
- 7-9 years of experience in a program development, research, and evaluation role, that includes experiences leveraging both quantitative and qualitative data collection methods to design and field surveys, host focus groups, and conduct interviews.
- Experience working on program development and research projects focused on transforming individual attitudes and behaviors in ways that shift broader social/cultural norms within communities.
- Experience authoring or co-authoring research for publication.
- 2-4 years of direct supervisory or management experience.
- Advanced knowledge of sexual violence prevention and response strategies.
- Experience working with executive or senior-level leadership.
- Experience managing budgets, strategies, and projects.
- A proven track record of navigating complex issues, leading diverse teams, managing multiple stakeholders, effective decision-making, and producing results.
- A demonstrated commitment to combatting sexual violence.
- An aptitude for project management and the ability to communicate project objectives and manage multiple stakeholders and timelines at once.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to translate research findings and recommendations into actionable steps for It’s On Us’s key stakeholders to take in their own communities.
- A commitment to being open to taking in new information, data, and ideas and adapting/revising strategies and/or project plans as needed.
- A track record of getting results in a fast-paced professional environment.
- Strong ability to listen, understand, connect, earn trust of, and collaborate with employees at all levels of the organization.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Washington, DC-based salary range for this position is $90,000-$100,000 (will be adjusted for cost of labor for the incumbent’s work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume at this link. The resume should include citations and links to previously authored or co-authored research. The cover letter, addressed to Tracey Vitchers, Executive Director, It’s On Us, should be concise, compelling, and include why you would like to work for Civic Nation.
Candidates can expect the following hiring process and timeline (please note that this timeline may be subject to change):
Applications Accepted: November 1-17, 2023
First Round Interviews: December 4-8, 2023
Second Round Interviews: December 11-15, 2023
Hiring Decision Announced: December 20, 2023
All candidates will be notified via email of the status of their application on or before the completion of the search.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com