Civic Nation seeks a Grants and Finance Associate. This position will report and work directly with the Chief Financial Officer on a broad range of accounting, financial and budgetary functions, primarily focused on project, major gifts, and grant budgeting and reporting. This position will regularly generate and present reports to keep management updated about their departments’ financial health and strategies. This position will work on the Finance team’s projects to streamline and optimize finance-related workflows.
ABOUT THE FINANCE & ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT
The Finance & Accounting Department is responsible for ensuring the efficient financial management and controls necessary to support all business activities. Financial accounting and systems, budgeting, management accounting, treasury and financial planning, and supporting the organizational strategy are essential functions to ensure the financial solvency of Civic Nation. The Finance & Accounting Department prepares and processes salaries paid to employees, records transactions and makes reports to the organization’s board, management, and funders. In addition, this department ensures the organization complies with applicable rules and policies, both internal and external.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. We shift culture, systems and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Our initiatives take on the biggest issues of our time — strengthening democracy, fostering civic engagement and voter participation, fighting for gender equity, and more. Civic Nation is home to six initiatives: It’s On Us, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, End Rape On Campus, United State of Women, We the Action, and When We All Vote.
- Play a key role in the budget and reporting process for the organization, project, grant, and major gift.
- Responsible for developing and preparing project and grant budgets and status reports to development and donors.
- Assist in managing relationships with grant administrators and internal stakeholders.
- Lead the revenue reconciliation process with the Development and Finance teams.
- Produce monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for the Executive Leadership Team, program managers, and board of directors.
- Produce reports that track important organization metrics.
- Assist in the tracking of budgets, expense reports, and payment request submissions through current systems such as Bill.com, Concur, and QuickBooks Online.
- Play a key role in documenting and facilitating the dissemination of financial systems, policies, and processes for financial reporting and accounting operations to support decision-making, ensure best practices, maintain a strong internal control environment, and manage risk.
- Assist the CFO and Senior Accountant in developing internal controls, systems, and procedures for effective operations and accurate and timely monitoring and reporting.
- In partnership with the CFO, generate information for publicly funded contracts, whether to support grant proposals, submit grant payment requests to government agencies, close out active government awards, or provide their auditors with requested documentation or data.
- Assist in the analysis of grant liability accounts in preparation for the org-wide, independent audit.
- Assist the Senior Accountant in conjunction with the CFO in ad-hoc budget reporting as needed.
- Research, collect, and document funder requirements and ensure compliance as necessary.
- Other reasonable duties as assigned by CEO, CFO, and Civic Nation’s Board of Directors.
- 2+ years of experience in finance, accounting, economics, or other related fields
- Experience working with a 501 (c)(3) organization in a finance role
- Demonstrated competency in accounting software such as QuickBooks or Sage Intact
- Demonstrated experience in financial and grant budgeting preparation and reporting
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, required
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with an eye for details.
- Ability to listen, comprehend, and connect with a diverse group of individuals at all levels and in all corners of the organizational structure.
- Strong teamwork, critical thinking, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable in independent project work and frequent fluctuations in workload.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Washington, DC-based salary range for this position is $60,000 to $70,000 (will be adjusted for cost of labor for the incumbent’s work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Civic Nation is committed to protecting our employees and our communities from COVID-19. Toward that goal, and in consideration of guidance released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and a variety of public health authorities and professional organizations, Civic Nation has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a term and condition of employment at Civic Nation unless an exemption or deferral has been approved. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after they get their second dose of a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or two weeks after a single dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
New employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date unless an exemption due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice is granted.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume here. The cover letter, addressed to Wilma Linares, Chief Financial Officer, should be concise, compelling, and include why you would like to work for Civic Nation. Applications will be accepted until May 5, 2023.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Civic Nation
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. We shift culture, systems and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Our initiatives take on the biggest issues of our time — strengthening democracy, fostering civic engagement and voter participation, fighting for gender equity, and more. Civic Nation is home to six initiatives: It’s On Us, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, End Rape On Campus, United State of Women, We The Action and When We All Vote.