Civic Nation seeks a Press Assistant to serve as a vital part of the Communications Hub, which includes press, digital, research, video, and creative. The Press Assistant will work closely with the communications and digital teams to support the day-to-day operations of the organization’s external communications and manage internal processes to help ensure the efficiency and efficacy of the broader organization. The position requires strong writing skills, attention to detail, and the ability to multitask and execute in a fast-paced environment.
The Communications Team is focused on telling the story of Civic Nation’s work. Through creative messaging, digital activations, media relations, and more, the Communications Team amplifies the work of all Civic Nation initiatives and campaigns.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a nonprofit ecosystem for high-impact organizing and education initiatives working to build a more inclusive and equitable America. Civic Nation shifts culture, systems, and policy by bringing together individuals, grassroots organizers, industry leaders and influencers to tackle some of our nation’s most pressing social challenges. Seven initiatives and campaigns are a part of the Civic Nation family: When We All Vote, ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, It’s On Us, We The Action, the Change Collective, Online for All, and SAVE On Student Debt. Learn more here.
- Assist the Communications Director and Communications Manager in the day-to-day operations of the Civic Nation communications department.
- Write press releases, talking points, research documents, op-eds, briefs, memos, and other materials.
- Monitor news events and social media activity throughout the day, and compile and produce daily morning press clips.
- Create and maintain press lists and respond to media interviews and inquiries with the Director of Communications.
- Identify potential news opportunities and support pitching and landing stories for Civic Nation and its initiatives and campaigns.
- Manage and maintain internal press assets, including press inboxes and communications outreach applications (Mailchimp, Meltwater).
- Support key organization rollouts and press events.
- Work with Civic Nation staff on quality assurance and copy edit external materials.
- Provide key administrative and organizational support to the communications department on various tasks and special events.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- 2+ years of communications/press experience in the nonprofit and/or political environments, including internships.
- Demonstrated experience balancing multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience communicating effectively with diverse audiences.
- Proficiency in the Google Suite.
- Prior experience with apps like Meltwater and Mailchimp a plus.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Excellent writing, copy-editing, and oral communication skills with working knowledge of AP style.
- An ability and desire to keep up with the news cycle.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with an ability to manage. multiple projects at once.
- Strong teamwork, critical thinking, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills.
- Comfortability in independent project work and frequent fluctuations in workload.
- Excellent organizational and scheduling skills.
- Personal and professional commitment to promoting and investing in cross-cultural skills and awareness related to individuals from broad backgrounds, races, ethnicities, religions, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The Washington, DC-based salary range for this position is $55,000 – $60,000 (will be adjusted for cost of labor for the incumbent’s work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
Candidates can expect the following hiring process and timeline (please note that this timeline may be subject to change):
October 23 – October 27: First-Round Interviews
October 30 – November 1: Writing Assignment
November 8 – November 10: Final Interviews
November 20: Hiring Decision announced
All candidates will be notified via email of the status of their application on or before the completion of the search.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume here. The cover letter, addressed to Ashlynn Profit, should be concise, compelling, and include why you would like to work for Civic Nation. Applications will be accepted until October 16, 2023.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal-opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.