Civic Nation seeks a National Organizing Director for its When We All Vote initiative. This position will be responsible for growing and leading the organizing program, providing strategic leadership and guidance to the Executive Team, and creating programs for different volunteer audiences across the organization’s work.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Programs and Operations, the National Organizing Director will coordinate with our Civic Nation Organizing Team to build out and deepen organizing and community engagement in key focus areas, oversee high-level strategy for organizing and mobilizing efforts, oversee training resources and programming, manage the Organizing team, and implement a program that moves volunteer leaders up the ladder of engagement.
The ideal candidate for this position brings 6-8 years of grassroots and community organizing experience, experience and passion for working with community partners and volunteers, a deep understanding of training and learning and how it relates to building community and leadership development, an ability to work across teams and collaborate, a strategic and curious brain for how to innovate, strong attention to detail, and someone who is passionate about equity in all aspects of our community and in voting. This person should also be detail-oriented, be an excellent project and staff manager, and thrive in balancing the execution of multiple priorities.
About When We All Vote
When We All Vote is on a mission to change the culture around voting and to increase participation in each and every election by helping to close the race and age gap. Created by Michelle Obama, When We All Vote brings together individuals, institutions, brands, and organizations to advance civic education and awareness by empowering all eligible voters to take action not just through voting, but by advocating for their rights.
In 2020, When We All Vote ran a robust digital organizing campaign through content, messaging, and events reaching more than 100 million people in an effort to educate them about the voting process, and get them registered and ready to vote. The organization led in voter education, registration, and volunteer engagement and as a result, 512,000 people started or completed the voter registration process, and nearly 500 media, corporate, and nonprofit partners joined its efforts.
Michelle Obama launched When We All Vote in 2018 and is joined in this effort by fellow Co-Chairs Tom Hanks, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Janelle Monáe, Chris Paul, Faith Hill, Selena Gomez, Liza Koshy, Megan Rapinoe, Shonda Rhimes, Tracee Ellis Ross, Kerry Washington, and Rita Wilson.
- Serve as the leader of the When We All Vote organizing program, including its training and volunteer program for the initiative’s external audiences, such as volunteers, student ambassadors, and community partners.
- Provide strategic advice to the executive team.
- Manage multiple projects related to developing and implementing programming for a diverse volunteer audience at different stages in their work and When We All Vote’s community and corporate partner groups, with an eye towards deepening engagement and community.
- Create and implement a comprehensive digital organizing strategy in key states, and oversee the management of the associated digital communities and tools.
- Develop training and educational project management for the When We All Vote community around advocacy and voter engagement.
- Represent When We All Vote on volunteer, community, and large-scale calls and events.
- Build out and oversee an Organizing Team, including full-time staff, contractors, and volunteer leaders.
- At least 6-8 years of organizing experience in campaigns and/or non-profit settings.
- At least 4 years staff management experience.
- Experience successfully running a combination in-person, distributed, and digital organizing programs.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and execute projects across multiple teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage strategic planning and debrief processes while being able to respond to short-term organizational needs.
- Experience and expertise in voter contact strategies, particularly in voter registration and education, and associated in-person and distributed tools.
- Familiarity with and understanding of CRMS and other content management databases.
- Experience developing, project managing, and creating training resources and ability to facilitate and deliver on resources for in-person and virtual audiences.
- A strong belief in and understanding of the importance of non-partisan voting efforts.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to successfully relate to members of the When We All Vote and Civic Nation team, as well as members of the public from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings, with the agility to navigate a fast-moving and complex environment.
- Deep dedication to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Curiosity and creativity around how to evaluate, reflect on, and improve programming in the moment and for the long-term.
- Strong leadership coupled with strong management
- Experience with and understanding of voter accessibility and education issues.
Salary and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $80,000-90,000. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees (spouses and children extra); generous paid time off; access to an employee paid 401k plan, and more.
Please go to civicnation.org/careers to submit your cover letter and resume. The cover letter, addressed to Stephanie Young, should be concise, compelling, and include what makes you the best fit for this role.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.