Codman Square Neighborhood Development Corporation (CSNDC) seeks a highly motivated and experienced manager to lead our Real Estate Development Department. CSNDC is a multi-racial, community–based non-profit organization formed in 1981. Our mission is to build a stronger community in Codman Square and the South Dorchester area of Boston.
Central to our mission is the support of low- and moderate-income residents of our community. We carry out our mission by building a cohesive and resilient community and developing affordable housing and commercial spaces that are safe and sustainable, and promote economic stability for low and moderate income residents of all ages. We lead community planning efforts, resulting in new programs and activities, such as our Eco-Innovation District and our Anti-Displacement strategy. As part of our recent strategic planning process, we are focusing on two areas where exponential growth is expected: increasing our Community Outreach and Base Building and expanding our Real Estate Development pipeline. These two areas will become critical programs to the organization over the next several years.
CSNDC has a thirty plus person staff, and an operating budget of $3.2 million plus. The NDC is an affiliate of the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and NeighborWorks America.
Real Estate Development at Codman Square NDC
Codman Square NDC has developed over 1300 units of affordable rental and homeownership housing, plus 50,000 square feet of office and retail space, in 25+ developments.
We have 135 additional housing units and approximately 7,500 square feet of commercial space in various stages of planning, development, or construction, including:
· Talbot Commons Phase 2 – a 42-unit rental housing development with ground floor commercial space (predevelopment/)
· Four Corners Plaza—a 35-unit mixed use rental housing and commercial space project, (pre-closing); and
· Orlando Waldeck (Walando Homes)—a 59-unit rental housing development. (construction)
We have several projects that are in the conceptual or exploratory phase:
On the Square (OTS) – the redevelopment of an existing one-story commercial retail building owned by CSNDC to include a 3-story, 39-unit rental housing development
Initial negotiations with a private developer to redevelop a former church site to include approximately 85 units of affordable and workforce housing
Our real estate department also supports our asset management component and actively monitors our portfolio of properties and manages the restructuring of those properties as needed. These currently include:
Erie-Ellington – Refinancing/rehab of a 50-unit rental housing development
Washington Columbia I – refinancing/rehab of a 151-unit rental housing development
Talbot Bernard Homes – refinancing/rehab of a 44-rental housing development
Talbot Bernard Senior – refinancing/rehab of a 31-unit elderly rental housing development
The Director of Real Estate Development
The Director of Real Estate Development has overall responsibility for supporting Real Estate Development and Asset Management at CSNDC, including supervising 3 project managers, an asset manager, plus occasional interns and fellows. They report to the Vice President of Operations.
· Develop and maintain a realistic and achievable real estate project pipeline
· Oversee planning, site selection, construction, design, loan closings and implementation of all real estate development projects
· Develop project proposals, determine feasibility, and seek project financing in conjunction with staff
· Select and manage project teams
· Engage, build, and maintain partnerships and on-going communication with lenders and other key stakeholders who are pivotal to supporting our pipeline and portfolio
· Collaborate on efforts to engage community residents in housing development, housing stabilization and commercial real estate development
· Support the Asset Manager in monitoring all of our properties in our portfolio in order to ensure their financial, physical and social health, and managing property renovation and restructuring in a timely manner
· Facilitate collaboration among departmental staff and between the department and other programs areas, as appropriate
· Dovetail Real Estate Development activities with the agency’s Anti-Displacement/Keeping Codman Square Affordable strategy and other initiatives
· Work in close consultation with the Executive Director, Vice President of Operations, and senior management on organizational leadership development and public relations
· Develop/design projects to maximum level of environmental (e.g., net zero/reduced carbon emissions) and energy sustainability (e.g., solar, etc.), and seek financing for same.
· Participate in coalitions with a variety of community-based, statewide and/or national organizations, as appropriate
· Work with the Vice President of Operations and the Executive Director to develop policy recommendations and implement board decisions related to real estate development and asset management
· Act as staff liaison to the Real Estate/Asset Management committee of the Board
· Other related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
We seek an entrepreneurial self-starter who embraces our vision and mission, and has many of the following skills and experiences:
· Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in real estate development
· Strong management and priority setting skills, including at least 5 years of experience supervising entry, mid- and senior-level staff, and managing project teams
· Experience developing large (50 unit+) and complex real estate development projects from start to finish
· Demonstrated success applying for public and private affordable housing and community development resources, including Low Income Housing Tax Credits
· Deep understanding of real estate project development, financing, construction, planning, program development and neighborhood relations
· Familiarity with permitting and zoning in Massachusetts and City of Boston
· Skill and comfort working with colleagues and community residents of various socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds
· Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
· Computer literacy, including fluency in word processing and spreadsheet programs
· Knowledge of and experience in community-based organizations and non-profit management
· Bilingual/bicultural in Spanish or another language predominant in CSNDC’s service area a plus, and
· BA, with a Master’s in Planning, Real Estate, Business, or a related field preferred.
Salary range is from $135.000 – $155,000 (negotiable) and commensurate with relevant work experience.
The Selection Process
Please submit a cover letter, detailing your interest and qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: Marcia Thornhill, Vice President of Operations, email@example.com. All applications will be acknowledged when they are received.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Codman Square Neighborhood Development Corp
Codman Square NDC is building a cohesive and resilient community in Codman Square and South
Dorchester. We develop affordable housing and commercial spaces that are safe, sustainable and promote
economic stability for low‐ and moderate‐income residents of all ages. We provide employment and
business development programs and embrace and value diversity and racial equity. CSNDC partners with
residents, non‐profits, and local businesses to encourage civic participation and increase community
influence in decision‐making, resource allocation and comprehensive plans for our neighborhood.