Our program on Substance Use Disorders and Justice-Involved Populations builds broad-based consumer advocacy to change local, state and national policies and practices. We catalyze action to boost prevention of drug and alcohol addiction, promote health and social services not punishment, and expand insurance coverage and access to high-quality care. We fight against inequities that send Black and brown people with drug issues to jail and white people to treatment.
The State Advocacy Manager will lead partnerships with advocates at the community and state levels to expand harm reduction-focused community alternatives to punitive drug policies and arrest. They will bridge silos among the criminal justice, substance use disorders, harm reduction and consumer health advocacy movements. They will also provide sophisticated coaching to support service innovation and to build advocacy capacity. The State Advocacy Manager will be an integral member of a dynamic team working on Substance Use Disorders and Justice-Involved Populations and will coordinate with other teams across Community Catalyst. The successful candidate will be a bold team player and a catalyst.
The State Advocacy Manager will be supervised by the Program Director for Substance Use Disorders and Justice-Involved Populations.
· Manage relationships with state and local partner organizations across the country, including day-to-day interactions, grants and program requirements
· Foster effective health advocacy using Community Catalyst templates and best practices plus proven tools from other sources. This includes work on initiatives defending and expanding the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid; promoting community alternatives to punitive drug policies; supporting health system transformation; promoting prevention and early intervention among youth, and advancing other relevant health policy issues.
Assist in building the capacity of state-based and grassroots organizations through coaching and facilitating peer-to-peer learning. Areas of support include: organizational development, grassroots organizing, coalition-building, fundraising, communications, and policy strategy. Research and write fact sheets, talking points, blogs and other materials for advocacy. Pay special attention to organizations of color, organizations focused on substance use disorders and organizations of people returning from incarceration. Also, focus on bridging silos of health, substance use and criminal justice, and on fostering partnerships between state organizations and grassroots organizations.
· Help our team bring anti-racism and health equity to the fore in our program work and in the organization’s overall work.
· Help build and maintain strategic relationships with national organizations, especially those working on transformative approaches to addiction, and connect their state or local affiliates with Community Catalyst partners. Participate in relationship tracking in Salesforce.
· Collaborate with other Community Catalyst staff to maintain up-to-date knowledge of local, state and federal policy initiatives and advocacy strategies in order to identify and share potential issues and/or opportunities with local and state partners. Focus on issues affecting substance use disorders and transformation of the health care system to better serve marginalized populations.
Assist our team with new and existing program design, proposal development, planning, evaluation and reporting.
· Assist Community Catalyst staff and directors in other relevant work projects as appropriate.
Bachelor’s degree plus 3 years relevant work experience or 5 years relevant work experience
Experience in social change activism including grassroots organizing and managing diverse coalitions and stakeholders
Experience providing technical assistance, coaching or training
Proven skills in relationship development and collaboration
· Knowledge of substance use disorders and/or criminal justice
· Strong verbal communication skills including experience with public speaking
· Strong writing skills, including the ability to convey complex information so it is easily understood by the public
· Strong organizational skills including the ability to manage several projects at once, respond to tight timelines, pay attention to detail and operate effectively and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
Demonstrated commitment to social justice and health equity
· Experience working in a multicultural environment
· Experience in legislative advocacy; political/policy issue campaigns; and/or implementing communications strategies
· Experience doing health policy research or analysis
· Knowledge of the Affordable Care Act, Medicaid, private insurance, prevention initiatives and/or addressing social determinants of health
· Lived experience with substance use disorders
Benefits & Salary Range
· Salary range: $55,167 – $60,300
· Generous paid time off policy
· Robust benefits package
Applicants should submit a resume with a one-page cover letter briefly summarizing their interest in and qualifications for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “State Advocacy Manager, Substance Use Disorders and Justice-Involved Populations” in the subject line.
Community Catalyst is strongly committed to building a work environment that recognizes, respects, and encourages the unique contributions of a broad spectrum of qualified employees. We strive to make employment decisions that support inclusion to maintain a work atmosphere that is diverse, equitable and promotes family-friendly practices and work‐life benefits so that people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
We do not discriminate in hiring based on age, color, ethnicity, race, national origin, primary language, religion, socio‐economic status, family status, mental and physical disabilities, veteran status, gender identity characteristics and/or expression, sex, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other classification that is protected by federal, state, or local law.
Through all of our programs, Community Catalyst works to build a better future for all individuals by advancing health equity, focusing on people of color, immigrants, as well as disability, gender, sexual identity and socioeconomic status. It is important for our staff to reflect the diverse communities with which we work. People of color, LGBTQ identified people, gender‐nonconforming people, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people who speak a language in addition to English are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Community Catalyst
Join an organization at the forefront of health advocacy across the nation
Community Catalyst, a national advocacy organization, has been giving consumers a voice in health care reform for more than a decade. We provide leadership and support to state and local consumer organizations, policymakers and foundations that are working to guarantee access to high-quality, affordable health care for everyone. Our contributions, which range from policy analysis and strategic assistance to managing national campaigns, enable consumer groups to provide leadership in the hard work of transforming the U.S. health care system. Since 1997, in states and communities across the country, we have been a catalyst for collaboration, innovation, and action in health care reform. Additional information about Community Catalyst can be found at www.communitycatalyst.org