About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action, an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
The Web Developer serves as the primary administrator and a strategic authority for our growing online properties and presence. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in website development, data analytics, and an interest in building dynamic web-based tools to support and promote our community advocacy and digital organizing work and priorities.
This position is for a motivated self- starter who loves to engage non-technical staff on strategy to innovate and redefine what it means to organize communities. Must have a well-rounded approach to development, which includes emphasis on branding, messaging, organizing, and strategizing about connecting action in the field to digital spaces and audiences.
A portion of time will be spent working with Community Change’s sister organization, Community Change Action.
- Maintain and serve as administrator to Community Change’s extensive web presence including daily posting, security updates, troubleshooting, server maintenance, and ensure user friendly and accessible sites.
- Create and maintain templates, pages, dynamic content, dashboards, and reports for the Community Change’s web properties.
Develop, from start to finish, internal websites, microsites, and other web projects.
- Manage the administration of Community Change’s CRM marketing database, including building and adapting email templates, and ensure smooth integration to online properties and other systems related to communications and fundraising.
- Manage various hosting web hosting accounts, ensuring our domains and hosting accounts are in good standing.
- Participate in overall communications strategy including helping to develop online complements to the Community Change’s work.
- Develop user guides, and similar educational or training materials for staff as needed in order to increase user awareness, encourage technology adoption, and increase staff knowledge of data-driven strategies, especially as relates to digital analytics, metrics tracking, and optimization opportunities.
- Stay on top on current trends that might be advantageous for internal and external partners.
- Work with Senior Technology Manager and, by extension, contracted IT company for relevant matters related to larger organization technical needs.
- Assist Community Change’s field partners as needed with hands on support and training.
- Manage relationships with external vendors.
A successful candidate will have experience with effective online campaigns and have gleaned tools and lessons from such experience, as well as an understanding of the limitations and need for new strategies.
- Minimum of four years demonstrated experience in web development. Experience working with non-profit, non-governmental, advocacy, or grassroots organizing institutions preferred but not required.
- Strong hands-on experience with PHP, MySQL, and Apache.
- Proficient in HTML5, CSS3, and SCSS/SASS.
- Experience managing servers for web apps, DNS records and hosting providers
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as GIT
- Experience administrating WordPress sites and developing custom themes and plugins
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and manage several simultaneous web projects, while also maintaining awareness of larger overall communications campaigns and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex web and digital concepts to non-technical staff in order to play a central role in overall strategy development and report on outcomes.
- Experience with creating and measuring success of online tools and campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to work in diverse teams, with consultants, and also drive projects independently.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, mission driven, evolving organization.
- SEO and Google Analytics / Adwords experience required.
- Knowledge of interface design for web applications and user-centered design principles a plus.
- Design skills for web a plus, but not required.
- Commitment to advancing economic and race and gender justice.
This position reports to: Director of Digital Strategy
Classification: Community Change recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in Community Change’s bargaining unit and covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
Travel Requirements: Low
Salary & benefits: $75,000 – $85,000 annual salary. Community Change also offers an excellent benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of annual paid vacation; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8% employer contribution to retirement account after six months of employment (and 3% employer contribution for the first 6 months); and a choice of generous health insurance plans.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
Closing Date of Position: Open Until Filled
How to apply: Please click here to submit a cover letter sharing your personal interest as well as salary expectations, a resume, and two writing/work samples.
Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com