About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic social change movements. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income support, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action, an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another, and each organization has its own board of directors.
The Payroll Manager is a newly created position and a key member of the Accounting Team. The Payroll Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of payroll including processing semi-monthly organizational payroll, ensuring Time and Attendance is completed, and managing employee retirement plan contributions. The Payroll Manager will play the critical role of ensuring payroll is processed on time, accurately and in compliance with government regulations. The ideal candidate will be skilled in reconciling and recording the semi-monthly payroll journal entries and communicating with staff and third-party providers to discuss any variances or updates. The Payroll Manager is an exempt position and reports to the Controller.
- Works with the People Administration (HR) Manager to complete the semi-monthly payroll process, ensuring accuracy and timely processing.
- Collaborate with the People and Culture team on allocations, timekeeping, and benefit expenses.
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal laws.
- Oversee weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual: W2 processing/filing, payroll tax support services.
- Works with the People Administration Manager to process payroll changes (e.g. new hires, terminations, raises, deferrals) and system upgrades.
- Work with our Payroll company to ensure state and tax filings are complete
- Conduct auditing, guidance, and oversight of timesheets and paid time off entries.
- Reconcile and record payroll journal entries
- Review and approve time allocations; identify and resolve any inconsistencies or errors.
- Reconcile and review vacation leave balances for accurate accounting on a monthly basis.
- Recommend changes with appropriate recommendation regarding Payroll policies as needed.
- Answer basic questions and resolves payroll issues to assist employees in understanding wage payments, procedures, and/or problems
- Support the annual financial statement audit.
- Performs other functions as assigned
Retirement (Benefit) Plan Management:
- Manage the day-to-day administration of employee deferral rate changes, loans and disbursements
- Conduct monthly reconciliations of deferral rates and compensation to ensure accuracy, in both enrollment and disbursement
- Liaison between Community Change and Retirement plan custodian
- Support the annual benefit plan audit
- Three to Five years of related experience required.
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparing, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes
- Knowledge of payroll regulations
- Problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- Proficient with payroll software
- A proactive approach to duties, continually looking at ways to improve processes. Remains open to others’ ideas and exhibits a willingness to try new things and in new ways.
- Commitment to Community Change mission and values
- Critical-thinking: ability to navigate complex and first-time payroll transactions
- Experience with NetSuite
- Strong communication skills
- Strong, team player and possession of customer service orientation. Solutions-oriented.
This position reports to: Controller
Classification: Community Change recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is not included in Community Change’s bargaining unit and not covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
Travel Requirements: Minimal travel required; 2-3 days per year.
Salary & Benefits: $75,000-$85,000 annual salary. Community Change also offers an excellent benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of annual paid vacation; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8% employer contribution to retirement account after six months of employment (and 3% employer contribution for the first 6 months); and a choice of generous health insurance plans.
Position Location: Community Change/Action is based in Washington, DC. Washington, DC is the preferred location for this position. Remote work is acceptable, however (occasional) visits to the DC office may be required upon the office reopening.
Closing Date of Position: Open Until filled
How to apply: Please click here to submit a cover letter sharing your personal interest as well as salary expectation and a resume.
COVID-19 Requirements: Community Change requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (within six weeks after the start of employment) unless a medical or religious exemption is requested and approved. An employee will be considered fully vaccinated once (i) two weeks have elapsed since after the employee has received the final dose of a primary COVID vaccine series (e.g., two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, two doses of the Moderna vaccine, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine) and (ii) the employee has received any booster vaccine dose currently recommended by the CDC for those in the employee’s age group. Should the CDC subsequently recommend additional boosters or should an employee otherwise become newly subject to a CDC booster recommendation, an employee shall continue to be considered fully vaccinated if the employee gets the additional booster within one month of the change.
Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Community Change
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.