SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Development Manager is responsible for creating and executing projects and programs that support and enhance COFI’s fundraising efforts. S/he is responsible for managing COFI’s foundation, corporate and government grant programs – including applications, proposal development, compliance, reporting, and prospect research. S/he is also responsible for the recruitment, retention, and upgrading of individual donors via donor appeals and events. This is a great opportunity for a self-starter who is passionate about the mission of COFI and has the ability to excite others about our mission.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· In partnership with the Executive Director and consultants, build and maintain financial resources
· Manage research, writing, reviewing and submitting of all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals and reports, including maintaining the tickler of grant deadlines
· Create and maintain a calendar of donor stewardship activities and strategies
· Organize events to appeal to current and potential donors
· Build and maintain relationships and support retention of donors/funders through excellent relationship building skills and follow up
· Work with the Executive Director to support strategic planning and future needs
· Support staff projects, as needed, such as fundraising training for parents, etc.
· Other duties as assigned
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Five to seven years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, other nonprofit and/or community organizing (at least 3 years specifically in fundraising)
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
· Knowledge, understanding of and commitment to the empowerment of low and moderate-income families and experience working with diverse communities.
· Strong interpersonal skills, common sense, and a warm and outgoing personality.
· Ability to think and act strategically.
· Must be able to build and maintain a strong rapport and positive relationships with donors, prospective donors, staff and parent leaders.
· Must be able to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, deal with emergent issues, and juggle multiple projects. Possess a high level of energy and be self-motivated.
· Possess outstanding communication skills, including listening skills. Be confident and have the ability to make presentations both verbal and written.
· Be able to maintain the confidentiality of privileged information.
· Exceptional organizational skills.
· Strong orientation toward serving and partnering with COFI parents and families.
· Ability to research, collect, and interpret data.
· Energetic team player who works well in collaborative situations.
· Respect for all levels of the organization and outside partners.
· Bilingual in Spanish and English desirable but not required.
· Reports directly to the Executive Director
· Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act, as a professional position
· Regular full time
· Starting salary range is between $51,000 to $60,000 annually, depending upon experience (with generous benefits)
Send cover letter, resume and completed COFI Application Form to email@example.com. Forms available at www.cofionline.org/jobs.
About Community Organizing and Family Issues (COFI)
COFI was founded 25 years ago to build the full participation of low-income parents of color in the public decisions – policy, program, practice – that affect them. To do this, COFI created an innovative, evidence-based leadership development and community organizing model, The COFI Way of Family Focused Organizing, and brought it to low-income communities in Chicago, across Illinois and beyond. Results to date: nearly 5,000 low-income parents of color engaged in a wide range of racial, gender and economic equity campaigns, gaining significant advances for children and families: winning 100+ new afterschool programs, restoring recess in Chicago, eliminating zero tolerance discipline in public schools, increasing enrollments in quality early learning across the state and battling exorbitant municipal fees and fines that mire families in poverty.