WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
As a Data Scientist at ActBlue, you will act as a subject matter expert on all things small-dollar donor, from conversion rates on our contribution forms to trends in campaign finance data. Data scientists at ActBlue empower teams across the organization to magnify the impact and improve the experience of small-dollar donors, create data products for the campaigns and organizations using our tools, and serve as advocates for the small-dollar donor movement.
Data Scientists work as part of cross-functional teams alongside Data Analysts. We collaborate to solve for descriptive and prescriptive stakeholder needs and provide data services and products to ActBlue and its users using SQL (PostgreSQL, Redshift, MySQL), R, Python, dbt, and Looker.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Be of service. Work with colleagues and external partners to answer questions about ActBlue’s tools and the impact of small-dollar donors, surfacing trends and insights from domain-specific data (i.e. feature analytics for product teams, financial and operational analytics, and campaign finance data).
- Build shared power. Strengthen analytical capacity across the organization, including by improving reporting workflows, assessing and collecting requirements for new analytics products, and training end users on the use of internal data products.
- Practice curiosity. Be proactive in identifying insights that have the potential to have a positive impact and in communicating those insights to teammates.
- Nurture trust. Effectively and empathetically communicate the knowns and unknowns of our analyses and data products to teammates across the organization.
- Adapt with intention. Manage and prioritize multiple requests and workstreams, some with tight deadlines and some with loosely defined instructions and desired outcomes.
- Foster belonging. Commit to being a member of a diverse and inclusive team. Provide mentorship to junior teammates, offer respectful feedback, and celebrate team wins.
- Take care. Serve as a conscientious steward of our data, being as thoughtful with donor and user data as you would hope someone would be with your own.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 2+ years experience or equivalent as a data scientist or data analyst, during which you independently extracted meaning from big data sets.
- Experience building and productizing machine learning or statistical models.
- Intermediate proficiency with R (tidyverse, ggplot2) or Python (pandas, matplotlib).
- Expert in SQL with mastery of complex logic, coding best practices, query performance, and SQL-based data pipelines.
- Ability to use a combination of statistical analysis, exploratory analysis, A/B testing, and multivariate and time series analysis to discern meaningful patterns from outliers.
- Comfort distilling complex insights into compelling narratives for senior executives, both verbally and visually.
- Fluency using business intelligence tools to generate data visualizations that communicate complex insights. Looker preferred.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to confidently share insights with a variety of audiences.
- Excellent teamwork skills. You thrive on collaboration, shared learning, and problem-solving.
- Scrappiness, a can-do attitude, and resourcefulness.
- Excellent peer and code review skills.
- Previous political experience, either professional or volunteer.
- Experience with dbt, especially creating or modifying SQL models.
- Experience with GitHub and source code control best practices.
- Experience creating data products for external stakeholders.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $136,611 – $151,437
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Bargaining Unit position: The terms and conditions of this position are subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Communications Workers of America, the exclusive bargaining agent of covered ActBlue Technical Services employees.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.