WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
We are looking for a DataOps Engineer to join ActBlue’s Data Platform Team and support the growth of our platform.
The Data Platform Team’s mission is to build and maintain the systems and infrastructure that handle and process the data that drives organizational insights. We empower the rest of the Data Department, and teams across the organization to magnify the impact and improve the experience of small-dollar donors.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work with the team to create standardized, documented, and reliable datasets for our business users.
- Work with people across the organization to set up new data ingestion infrastructure and sources.
- Work with data engineers to provide scalable and reliable data infrastructure.
- Build tooling to make the development and deployment process as seamless as possible for data teams.
- Practice and encourage a people-focused engineering mentality when working cross-functionally.
- Improve the performance and maintainability of our platform through quality code, comprehensive testing, monitoring, and effective documentation.
- Engage and contribute to technical discussions about new solutions and architecture.
- Receive support from your manager and other senior leaders to grow as an individual and increase your impact within ActBlue and on the progressive movement.
- Be a champion for building a collaborative and inclusive team culture.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Professional experience with SQL.
- Experience with version control systems (Git).
- Some experience with AWS or cloud-native applications.
- A track record of collaborating with other engineers to resolve ambiguity and prioritize the highest impact work.
- A demonstrated ability to write extensible, maintainable, and scalable code.
- The ability to practice an inclusive and empathetic work style in a remote work environment.
- An eagerness to learn and grow your skills.
- A passion for repeatable configuration management and ActBlue’s mission to build people-powered movements.
BONUS POINTS IF…
- You have experience administering Redshift or other columnar databases.
- You’ve worked with Terraform.
- You’ve worked with Kubernetes.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Stack: Python, Terraform, Kubernetes, SQL
- Tooling: Looker, dbt, Jenkins, Github, PagerDuty, DataDog, Fivetran
- Hosting: AWS
- Databases: Redshift, PostgreSQL
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- Security is at the center of everything we do. We are always on the lookout for ways to further harden our platform.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $136,611 – $151,437
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Bargaining Unit position: The terms and conditions of this position are subject to a collective bargaining agreement with the Communications Workers of America, the exclusive bargaining agent of covered ActBlue Technical Services employees.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.