Reporting to the National Director, the Communications Director will work with DSA’s elected leaders and volunteers to direct and shape DSA’s internal and external communications. The ideal candidate will have a finely-tuned sense of “what sells” in media, be comfortable working with and leading
teams of volunteers, have experience liaising with the press, and have a firm grasp on the political context in which DSA operates.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversee Communications Strategy:
- Work closely with elected leadership on all aspects of DSA’s political messaging, both internal and external.
- Develop, promote, create infrastructure for and deliver a multi-faceted communications strategy for democratic socialism, and by extension DSA, nationally.
- Ensure that internal and external communications strategies further campaign goals, continually expand our audience, and provide avenues for members to become more active.
Expand Messaging Influence:
- Increase coverage of socialism and other DSA issues by cultivating relationships with reporters, editors, producers, bookers, bloggers and other media professionals.
- Increase our digital footprint by expanding our relationships with relevant platforms and aligned communities and organizations on social media.
- Identify and seize opportunities to promote DSA messages and spokespeople in reaction to events in the news cycle.
- Delegate creation of internal and external content, including talking points, statements, membership emails, news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, blog posts, and social media content including video, memes, ads, etc.
- Oversee DSA communications, including the organization’s website, social media, and membership emails, ensuring that content meets a high standard of quality and is in line with the organization’s political messaging, as determined by elected leadership.
- Guide DSA’s messaging across publications, including coordination with quarterly online publication Socialist Forum, and quarterly print and online magazine Democratic Left.
Build Leadership and Capacity:
- Identify and train DSA spokespeople, taking care to ensure adequate representation of traditionally marginalized voices.
- Supervise Internal Communications and Digital Organizing Coordinator and Program Associate – External Communications and Creative Assets and manage media training pipeline to further media sophistication amongst DSA’s chapter leadership and membership.
- Recruit and lead national committees of communications, social media, and design volunteers to assist the communications team in its duties.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 5 years of campaign communications, journalism, and/or public relations experience, with 1 to 2 years supervisory and management experience of teams of three or more.
- Experience securing earned press coverage and engaging the press and executing strategic communication plans through traditional and digital communications.
- Proven experience designing, executing, and tracking successful email, SMS, social media, and other digital advocacy programs.
- Experience working with the media and existing relationships with print, radio, television and online journalists.
- The ability to work with, inspire, and develop volunteers. Able to work with a wide variety of stakeholders and bring others along.
- Ability to communicate persuasively, accessibly and professionally in writing and orally to diverse audiences. Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to produce clear, concise content within tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
- A firm grasp of the political environment in which DSA operates and a demonstrated commitment to building socialism within our time.
- Proficiency in Google Office and Associated Press style.
- Experience in organizing campaigns.
- Fluency in Spanish.
Reports to: National Director
Work Schedule: Full-time. Work hours will fluctuate according to campaign needs and members’ availability
Salary: $60,000 to $76,000, exempt, depending on experience.
Benefits: We offer employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their spouse/partner and/or dependent children, and three weeks of vacation in the first year of employment, then four weeks each year thereafter.
Application Deadline: Apply as soon as possible, as interviews begin immediately.
To Apply: Email the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line: COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR LAST NAME.
• Cover letter with statement of your qualifications related to external and internal
communications, organizing, and project management.
• 3 references with direct supervisory knowledge of relevant work
No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Democratic Socialists of America is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a staff that
reflects the working class. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of
color, as well as members of the LGBTQ communities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Democratic Socialists of America
The Democratic Socialists of America is a member-run, socialist organization with more than 280 groups in every state and the District of Columbia engaged in movement-building, public education, direct action, advocacy, and electoral politics. Our immediate goal is to build working-class power against the capitalist class while advancing transformative reforms like Medicare for All and a Green New Deal, supporting a robust labor movement, electing socialists to office, and shifting the public framing around capitalism and democratic socialism. DSA is a “big tent,” multi-tendency organization that welcomes everyone committed to democracy and socialism.