The Democratic Socialists of America is a member-run, socialist organization with more than 350 groups in every state and the District of Columbia engaged in movement-building, public education, direct action, advocacy, and electoral politics. Our immediate goal is to build working-class power against the capitalist class while advancing transformative reforms like Medicare for All and a Green New Deal, supporting a robust labor movement, advancing racial justice, electing socialists to office, and shifting the public framing around capitalism and democratic socialism. DSA is a “big tent,” multi-tendency organization that welcomes everyone committed to democracy and socialism.
This Organizing Manager position will report to the Organizing Director and work closely with other staff to develop and strengthen DSA chapters. When it is safe to do so, the Organizing Manager can expect to visit chapters once a month – length of visit based on details of trip. A valid driver’s license is required as is close and easy access to a major airport for when travel is allowable again.
· Supervise, train and otherwise directly support Field Organizers in goal setting, overcoming obstacles and other key aspects of organizing, including through direct observation and debriefing
· Develop and execute a professional development plan that meets the needs of Field Organizers
· Manage vision and execution of DSA chapter program, focused on training, assessment, tracking, direct engagement and anything else needed to strengthen chapters and our work with them
· Lead regular team meetings focused on reviewing work, making decisions, brainstorming ideas and collective learning about best organizing practices from co-workers
· Support Organizing Director to execute debriefs and planning so that the department can more fully share lessons and reports along with goals for the overall program
· Coordinate with other departments on key projects directly tied to work with DSA chapters
· Perform other duties which may arise based on the needs of the organization.
· At least four years of experience organizing to win a collective bargaining agreement, a contract, legislation, or other reform that increased grassroots power.
· Experience and deep understanding of how best to manage and motivate people, including identifying challenges and setting a plan to fix and providing accountability in difficult situations
· Solid grasp of DSA’s organizing model, including similarities and differences from other organizations
· Proven ability to move people through public speaking, workshop facilitation, and one-on-one conversations.
· Exceptional listening, interpersonal, and general communication skills.
· Enjoys working with volunteers and has a strong track record of recruiting, training, and managing volunteers, mobilizing large numbers of people to take action, developing grassroots leadership, and winning concrete campaigns.
· Self starter that can efficiently manage multiple projects at once, use limited resources effectively, and work with a team.
· Handles high pressure situations with positive attitude, tact and professionalism.
· Ability to work irregular hours and available to travel.
· Commitment to democratic socialist, feminist, anti-racist, anti-heterosexist and pro-worker action and identify as a socialist and be grounded in democratic socialist politics; general agreement with the positions and perspectives of YDSA and DSA.
· 1-2 years of experience directly supervising staff including setting and executing a professional development plan, and setting and accountability tied to goals
· Familiarity with and/or organizing experience in multiple regions of the United States, including a mix of suburban, urban and rural
· Direct experience interacting with DSA chapters and/or National Committees
· Familiarity with Google Suite
· Experience with ActionKit, Action Network, Spoke, VAN and other CRMs
· Creativity and sense of humor.
Reports to: Organizing Director
Work Schedule: Full-time. Work hours will fluctuate according to campaign needs and members’ availability. Night and weekend work may be expected.
Location: Remote Salary: starting at $65K
Benefits: We offer employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their spouse/partner and/or dependent children, and three weeks of vacation in the first year of employment, then four weeks each year thereafter.
Application Deadline: July 14, 2021 To Apply: Click here
No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Democratic Socialists of America is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a staff that reflects the working class. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, DREAMers, as well as members of the LGBTQ communities.
About Democratic Socialists of America
The Democratic Socialists of America is a member-run, socialist organization with more than 280 groups in every state and the District of Columbia engaged in movement-building, public education, direct action, advocacy, and electoral politics. Our immediate goal is to build working-class power against the capitalist class while advancing transformative reforms like Medicare for All and a Green New Deal, supporting a robust labor movement, electing socialists to office, and shifting the public framing around capitalism and democratic socialism. DSA is a “big tent,” multi-tendency organization that welcomes everyone committed to democracy and socialism