This is a key role in accelerating our organization's growth and power. A successful candidate will be a highly motivated leader and will have excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with a knack for juggling competing priorities. The candidate should be goal-driven with excellent written and interpersonal communications skills.
The Development Director will provide strategic leadership in the planning, implementation, integration, and evaluation of our fundraising strategy. They will lead the fundraising team in achieving the organization’s revenue goals, increasing income, and educating and engaging more individuals and institutions in the work of PA Stands Up. The ideal candidate will be a strong manager of people and systems, will have significant knowledge and experience in community organizing, and be rooted in a deep commitment to racial and economic justice.
PA Stands Up is an independent people-powered organization, by and for the many. We organize working people—black, white, and brown—across Pennsylvania's cities, towns, and rural areas. Our chapters develop grassroots leaders and organization to make a difference on issues and in elections. Together we're building the durable infrastructure that's needed to win governing power and enact a bold agenda for the common good.
The Development Director oversees the fundraising team and is responsible for developing and managing the execution of a comprehensive development plan, short-term and long-term strategy, goals and action plans in order to meet the organization’s goals. Specifically, the Development Director will:
- Work closely with the management team to establish annual fundraising goals, set strategic priorities, and advise on program development.
- Support local organizers and chapters to develop grassroots fundraising goals, including growing a dues-paying membership program and developing more aggressive foundation and individual giving fundraising plans. This may include: writing proposals, reviewing proposals, leading planning meetings with local leaders, researching additional funding sources, etc. Fundraising by local chapters presently represents 25% of our organizational budget.
- Work closely with the Boards of Directors to engage them more deeply in the fundraising process and to help cultivate a strong relationship between board members and the organization.
- Solicit contributions from major individual donors and steward long-term relationships with donors.
- Develop relationships with prospective individual and foundation donors to increase funding.
- Research prospective institutional and individual funders.
- Track proposal and reporting deadlines, ensure that all submitted materials are accurate and comply with any funder requirements.
- Manage all grant activity in a central database and deliver regular reports to the Executive Director and Boards of Directors.
- Oversee the implementation of ongoing programs to improve the renewal rates of existing dues-paying members, creatively use events to upgrade individual donors and maintain a diversity of revenue streams.
- Work with the Operations Director to develop annual budgets and income projections.
- Stay abreast of political and philanthropic trends and ensure that the board and staff are informed of emerging opportunities as well as changes in legislation and other trends and initiatives that might impact giving.
- Work to identify and aggressively pursue opportunities and models to develop non-foundation income streams for the organization (such as earned income, fee-for-service, etc).
- In collaboration with PA Stands Up's communications team, manage and track funder communications for organization and ensure the production of high-quality, error-free materials, funder reports, annual reports, annual appeal, and electronic messaging.
- Cultivate high-level relationships with program officers and other foundation leaders and individual donors of interest.
- Represent Pennsylvania Stands Up at meetings and events.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of five years experience working in a community, labor, or political organizing environment, significant fundraising experience, proven success in building or expanding a fundraising program preferred.
- Two or more years of experience supervising staff; capability of working with a wide range of people and building strong, successful teams
- A clear understanding of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit legal issues/structures
- Well-developed writing skills and strong interpersonal and organizational communication skills
- Commitment to racial and economic justice and understanding of community organizing and the current issues and political landscape of organizing
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work effectively with a broad range of people, and to quickly gain the respect and support of key leaders
- Experience as an effective communicator who is articulate and persuasive in both the spoken and written word; must be adept at crafting materials and making presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently
- Proven track record of building or expanding a successful fundraising program
Owning or having full-time access to a car as a licensed, insured driver is preferred, as this position requires travel throughout Pennsylvania and, from time to time, nationally. PA Stands Up provides mileage reimbursement and a per diem and lodging when working away from home.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range is $60-90,000 FTE. PA Stands Up is dedicated to workers rights and offers health benefits and generous paid time off to its employees.
How to Apply
Please submit a RESUME and LETTER (1-2 pages) that describes your interest, experience, commitment, and any relevant personal background to email@example.com. Put “Development Director” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PA Stands Up embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer. Read More
Source: Pennsylvania Stands Up Jobs