People’s Action Institute (501c3), and sister organization People’s Action (501c4), are national progressive organizations supporting the mobilization and leadership of the grassroots in support of an agenda that reflects people over profits. People’s Action/Institute builds the power of poor and working people, in rural, suburban, and urban areas to win change through issue campaigns and elections.
With offices in Washington, DC and Chicago, IL and remote staff across the country, we support and advance state-based and national fights for progressive policies on the environment, decarceration, health care, economic security, housing, education, and more. Our member organizations, nearly 40 organizations across 28 states, improve lives by running local- and state-level issue and electoral campaigns, leading statewide tables, and collectively come together to change national policy and politics.
People’s Action/ People’s Action Institute have a track record of leadership in coordinating field mobilization and advocacy in advancing an array of issues at the local, state, and federal levels. Qur member organization have won important victories at the national, state, and local levels, including: health insurance for millions and the reversal of health care laws that discriminate based on citizenship, stopping Wall Street banks from selling predatory payday loans to their customers, and historic legislation like the Community Reinvestment Act to victory and the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
For more information on PAI, please visit https://peoplesaction.org/.
- Become part of a diverse team of fundraisers and organizers working to raise the resources needed to build the progressive movement and deliver tangible improvements in the lives of the multiracial working class.
Overview of the Position
- The Development Manager has primary responsibility for the development and implementation of the core fundraising activities of the organization including grant writing & reporting, individual mail appeals, and fundraising communications activities. The primary goal of the position is to maintain and grow a reliable base of foundation and individual support for the organization. The Development Manager works in close collaboration with the Development Director, Executive Director, and People’s Action/People’s Action Institute development and program team on fundraising activities and engages other stakeholders in this work. This position interacts closely with all departments (finance, operations, campaigns, communications) through meetings, phone, and email communication. The Development Manager will need to understand the organization and its work, its mission, vision, values, and operating philosophies, and how development activities impact the operation and success of the organization.
What you will do:
- Communicating with donors to ensure engagement and increasing level of commitment to the organization
- Work with the development team and program staff to draft and edit compelling grant proposals, concept papers, and reports.
- Track proposal and reporting deadlines, ensure that all submitted materials are accurate and comply with all funder requirements.
- Supporting the planning and executing annual giving strategies and campaigns that grow revenue, expand outreach to acquire new donors (grassroots and major), retain existing donors, and grow average gift size.
- In collaboration with the Communications team, manage and track funder communications for organization and ensure the production of high-quality, error-free materials, funder reports, annual reports, annual appeal and electronic messaging.
- Supporting the Executive Director in cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major gifts.
- Manage and enhance donor stewardship program (including acknowledgement, communications, and appreciation activities.)
- Working with the development team to update and maintain the organizational database to track donor cultivation.
- Explore and identify new leads and prospects (institutional and individual) to diversify funding sources.
- Administrative duties collaborating with Development Director, Finance & Operations, and Communications staff as needed.
- Processing significant subgrants to member organizations and other partners.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date donor and prospect records on Salesforce, our organizational database.
- Support member organization’s fundraising capacity working with the development team.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal Development Manager should have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in a similar development or fundraising role.
- Familiarity with grassroots, community, labor, or political organizing.
- Strong writing, proofreading, and detail-oriented research skills.
- An understanding of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit legal structures.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work effectively with a broad range of people, and quickly gain the respect and support of key leaders.
- Strong commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice and their intersections, both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to work with diverse people and organizations.
Compensation and Benefits:
Status: Full-time, Regular, Exempt, benefits eligible
Salary Range: $65,000-$72,000
Location: Based in our Chicago, IL office. Washington, D.C. or remote locations may be considered.
Reports to: Development Director
Benefits include: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Medical and Dependent Care Flex Spending Account, 401(k) plan, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, 9 paid holidays plus the last two weeks of the year that include Christmas Eve/Christmas Day as well as, New Year’s Eve/New Year’s Day, and you accrue two weeks of vacation your first year or employment.
Commitment to Disability, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
People’s Action is an Equal Opportunity Employer; women, people of color, persons with disabilities and LGBTQI people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Close date: November 20, 2020