Who We Are
STREAM is a diverse and growing interfaith coalition of 15 congregations working for justice in Manatee County, FL. STREAM is part of the Direct Action and Research Training Center (DART).
DART is one of the largest faith-based community organizing networks in the country, with 31 local affiliates spanning 10 states. We believe that fighting for racial and economic justice is fundamental to our identity as people of faith, and we know that successfully fighting for justice requires having power in the public arena. We’ve been organizing interfaith coalitions to build power since 1982. A few of our victories include:
- Hundreds of millions of dollars invested in affordable housing
- Implementation of fair discipline policies in hundreds of schools, breaking the school-to-prison pipeline
- $950 million invested in public transportation
- Criminal justice reforms resulting in 50,000 fewer arrests of children
STREAM’s Lead Community Organizer will direct the organization, including hiring and supervising all future staff at STREAM. The Lead Community Organizer reports directly to STREAM’s board of directors. Main duties include:
- Building engagement in the community
- Train grassroots faith leaders how to engage others in the fight for justice & recruit new leaders and congregations into the organization.
- Drive forward campaigns on community problemsTrain grassroots leaders to identify community problems, conduct research, and develop action plans for issue campaigns.
- Organize public actions of over 1,000 people.
- Organizational development & managementWork with the organization’s Board of Directors to map out the strategic direction and development of the organization.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate staff of 1-3 Associate Organizers.
- Ensure that the organization’s finances are in order. This includes maintaining accurate financial records, ensuring that all foundation proposals and reports are submitted in a timely fashion, and making sure that dues from member congregations are collected. Additionally, the Lead Organizer coordinates an annual 6-8 week fundraising drive with grassroots leaders who fundraise from individuals, small businesses, and major corporations in the community.
Who You Are
You’re excited to direct a nonprofit organization and set the vision for its growth. You have a passion for justice, and are energized by the prospect of uniting people around a common cause. You are naturally curious and value strong relationships. You may or may not be personally religious. Either way, you have a genuine respect for all faith traditions and are excited about uniting faith communities to live out their call to “do justice”.
STREAM is a diverse coalition that includes communities of color, low-to-moderate-income communities and immigrant communities. We strongly encourage people from these backgrounds, as well as fluent Spanish speakers, to apply.
- Core passion to win on local justice campaigns
- Excellent relationship-building skills
- Enthusiasm for working with diverse faith communities
- At least two years of professional experience in community organizing, advocacy, congregational or non-profit leadership, or similar work
- Experience leading teams of people
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a car
Why Choose DART
DART invests heavily in training and development of our team members. During your first year, we provide comprehensive professional development through an initial five-day classroom-style training, one-on-one mentoring from experienced DART consultants, and three multi-day trainings with organizers across the country. Ongoing professional development continues through individualized coaching and mentoring, as well as local, regional, and national staff trainings.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary is $60,000 – $70,000+ annually. Benefits include: paid vacation and holidays, healthcare reimbursement, parental leave, and reimbursements for work-related travel. STREAM also makes retirement contributions of 10% after one year of employment – no match required.
STREAM is an equal opportunity employer.
This search is being run by NRG Consulting Group. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.