WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive, people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
The Director of Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) will be a strategic leader and implementer who connects the dots between diversity and inclusion efforts across the organization. You will report to our Chief of Staff in the Office of the Executive and act as a key thought partner to ActBlue's leadership team. You'll guide ActBlue's efforts to create and maintain an equitable and inclusive organization by aligning skillsets and policies to anti-racist and diversity and inclusion best practices, with a focus on strategy, planning, and budgeting processes. This position will manage the D&I Team and oversee the development of work plan commitments in pursuit of these goals, benchmark progress, and communicate the narrative of impact.
In the short term, the Director of D&I will execute our 2022 D&I plan with fidelity; in the medium to long term, the Director of D&I will use data and learnings from our 2022 efforts to create a long-term D&I organizational strategy.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Office of Executive:
- Act as a trusted thought partner and coach for ActBlue leadership on D&I issues, from developing cultural competence to ensuring leaders model ActBlue’s commitments to equity.
- Collaborate closely with the Chief of Staff and communication teams to ensure that executive, internal, and external messaging promotes transparency and reflects our commitment to equity.
- Lead and is accountable for ActBlue’s long-term organizational D&I strategy development and implementation, including establishing goals and metrics for success and executing future and current plans with integrity and fidelity.
- Oversee current work to gauge impact and progress on D&I goals and iterate where necessary on metrics and reporting mechanisms.
- Provide thought leadership in developing and implementing the organization’s D&I training and programming strategy.
- Serve as ActBlue’s primary liaison with external D&I consultants, organizations, and partners who align with and support our progress toward strategic D&I goals.
- Effectively coach and manage a Diversity and Inclusion Program Manager, supporting their professional development and ongoing work on D&I programming and ERG (Employee Resource Group) management.
People and Culture Department leadership:
- Partner with the head of People and Culture to assess the cultural health of the organization for employees across all identities; elevate priorities for leadership accountability, and report out to multiple stakeholders.
- Partner with the People Operations lead to support the development and analysis of internal surveys and employee feedback incorporating key D&I strategy indicators.
- Partner with the Talent Development Team to develop D&I competency-based training opportunities for all members of the ActBlue community.
- Consult with Human Resources team leaders to ensure inclusive HR policies and practices.
WHAT YOU BRING…
- 10+ years of management/leadership experience, including at least eight years of relevant experience developing and implementing org-wide diversity, inclusion, and equity projects.
- Experience leading org-wide inclusion initiatives, including diversity training and multicultural speaker events.
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic alignments with key constituents across the organization.
- Successful track record implementing/creating an inclusive culture in which diversity and business objectives are mutually reinforcing.
- Demonstrated ability to work on details and long-term strategy simultaneously.
- Ability to define and remember the big picture – even in rapid response situations – in order to help departments prioritize appropriately.
- Able to listen, challenge, and find common ground.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; excellent ability to effectively present complex and emotional information in a variety of settings with simplicity and compassion.
- Experience leading projects to meet deadlines and quality expectations, including the ability to anticipate timelines and difficulty levels of projects and tasks.
- Strong people and change management skills.
- Provide insight into diversity analytics and reporting for various audiences to highlight trends and impact.
BONUS POINTS IF…
- Experience managing employees who are covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
- Experience in HR compliance and best practices, talent development, and/or learning and development.
- Demonstrated experience developing engagement, retention, and inclusion initiatives and programs.
- Experience providing guidance to senior leadership across a variety of different roles and disciplines.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: $144,000 to $216,000, depending on experience.
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy.
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families.
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match.
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue.
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees.
- Additional perks including monthly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.