WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
The Director of DevOps oversees the DevOps, SRE, and Database Administration functions at ActBlue. This person will lead the team that ensures the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of the ActBlue platform at any necessary scale while maximizing the organization’s ability to support donors, candidates, and progressive nonprofits.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Streamline working processes to increase efficiency of the DevOps team and their ability to deliver on special projects and daily maintenance tasks.
- Continue to build upon our strong foundation by improving observability, scalability, and incident response.
- Ensure that DevOps projects are delivered on time and within scope and budget.
- Facilitate technical decision-making with an emphasis on maintainability, scalability, and performance of high-traffic web applications.
- Manage a direct team of three or four individual contributors (infrastructure and process) and one Engineering Manager with five to six reports (user support and SRE).
- Set priorities and goals for the team, including reviews and continuous performance feedback.
- Identify and mitigate issues, risks, and barriers to inclusive, successful engineering practices.
- Work closely with our security group on hardening systems and evaluating existing and potential cloud (SaaS) vendor relationships.
- Work with the VP of Techops on strategic planning for the DevOps team and associated roadmap.
- Work with Development teams and other stakeholders to roll out cross-functional initiatives to improve product quality and efficiency.
- Partner with Product Management, Product Design & Research, Data, Security, and TechOps teams to drive technical projects and ensure product delivery.
- Manage relationships with external vendors and internal stakeholders.
- Cultivate a healthy, transparent, and collaborative remote-first culture.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to build trust and consensus across teams and stakeholders.
- 3+ years experience managing team(s) of 3–7 people.
- Experience with enterprise Cloud hosting at scale (AWS, DataDog, open source technologies, DevOps tooling).
- Curiosity and excitement about continuous improvements to our platform and methodologies.
- Passion for serving our customers and working with our internal stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills with a team-centric and remote-friendly approach to discussion and collaboration.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity, inclusion, and a strong sense of belonging on teams.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in the field.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Salary Range: $212,000(min)- $225,000(mid)- $268,000(max)
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
Supervisory role not part of the Bargaining Unit position: Certain employees who report to this position may be covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including for our online job application system. If you would like to request an accommodation when applying, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*ActBlue will never ask candidates to buy equipment, nor will we email from anything other than an actblue.com or actbluetech.com email address.