WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
ActBlue is seeking a Director of Engineering to lead our Product Engineering department in order to foster a product and customer-centric engineering culture. This engineering leader will lead high-performing teams that ship product and infrastructure that drive positive customer value and business impact across key areas like increasing fundraising, decreasing operational overhead, and improving performance and security.
The Product Engineering department spans seven cross-functional product teams owning areas of impact across growth, engagement, and retention and domains like internal tools, authentication, and integrations. The Product Engineering department is central to ActBlue’s ability to achieve key business goals, drive customer value for donors and organizations, and grow Democratic and progressive grass-roots fundraising.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Collaborate with leaders across the organization to develop and execute on roadmaps and a product engineering strategy inline with ActBlue’s near and long term goals.
- Manage, lead, and grow a team of engineering managers and software engineers working across ActBlue’s products and services.
- Directly manage the Engineering Managers across all product teams and build a strong engineering management community and culture.
- Drive continuous improvement in product development best practices, quality, and process.
- Ensure high-quality and frequent communication between product and engineering, product teams, the product and platform engineering organization, and various stakeholders and internal customers.
- Partner with engineering leadership in shaping and guiding ActBlue’s technical direction and effectively communicate strategy, decisions, and plans across all teams.
- Lead the team to deliver high quality, secure, reliable, performant and scalable software and products.
- Identify high impact areas of product and technical debt and collaborate across functions and teams to deliver on plans to reduce them.
- Lead a product engineering culture of owning all code in production and establishing operational excellence best practices.
- Foster a product and customer-centric culture by partnering closely with product, research, data, and design to make data-informed decisions in order to build products that customers value.
- Manage team budgets, resourcing needs, growth and recruiting plans, and goals.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 8+ years of experience including multiple years of successfully managing and mentoring engineering managers and engineers across at least three product teams.
- Passion and expertise building an engineering culture rooted in kindness, empathy, impact, and product-mindedness.
- Expertise in modern product development best practices and using agile methodologies, CI/CD, monitoring and observability, and writing tests to ship high quality software.
- Expertise in leading engineering teams to deliver high quality, secure, reliable, performant, and scalable web apps and software products.
- Experience with developing engineers and teams into high-performing engineering teams that ship impactful software products as measured by data.
- Ability to create structure from ambiguity and has the communication, decision-making skills, and flexibility to address changing needs quickly, align, and unblock teams.
- Exceptional cross-functional collaborator who can partner across different functions to understand business and product goals and needs, manage expectations, and work together to deliver on roadmaps and projects.
- Excellent communication and planning skills to turn business and product goals into impactful engineering goals and priorities that are understood by and inspire engineers.
- A strong sense of personal accountability and ownership for meeting commitments that serves as a model for the product engineering team.
- Passion for staying up to date on technology advances and continuously improving team and company performance by incorporating modern engineering practices and technologies.
- Previous experience successfully managing team budgets, resourcing, recruiting plans, and goals (OKRs, KPIs, etc).
BONUS POINTS IF…
- You have experience in some of the technologies we use such as: React, Typescript, Ruby on Rails, Postgres, GraphQL, DataDog, and AWS. Experience with all those technologies is not required.
- Familiarity with implementation and use of modern third-party payment software vendors like Stripe, Adyen or Braintree.
- Familiarity with use of experimentation platforms to test and measure the impact of product changes.
- Background or experience in electoral politics and/or the political technology space
- Experience in eCommerce flows, B2B, and/or two-sided marketplaces.
- Experience managing in an organized labor environment.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $213,918 – $250,00
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Supervisory role not part of the Bargaining Unit position: Certain employees who report to this position may be covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com to get started.