TargetSmart focuses on our customers’ success in advocacy, campaign, and marketing strategies with first-in-class execution. With a forward-thinking and politically focused approach, our team combines proprietary technologies, consumer data, public databases, data integrations, and strategic consulting to deliver high-performance, reliable data products, and solutions.
SALARY RANGE: VARIES DEPENDING ON EXPERIENCE
About the Position
The Director of Software Engineering leads the Technology Department that is responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of production and client-facing software systems. We use these to build, manage and analyze our large data products and present, deliver and integrate our data products to clients through webapps and APIs. The quality of these systems is at the core of TargetSmart’s ability provide valuable data products and services to our clients and our overall success.
The Director of Software Engineering is responsible for aligning engineering activities and projects with company goals and objectives, providing expert guidance and support to leadership and other departments, and maintaining positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
To be successful as the Director of Software Engineering, you should have exceptional leadership, communication, and project management skills, experience managing a software development team or project, and a belief in developing the skills and talents of others. Ideal candidates will have experience in identifying and navigating organizational changes, a keen interest in trends in software development and large data systems, and a proven track-record of team and project leadership.
- Recruiting and leading the remote team of software engineers that build software systems at TargetSmart and looking out for the wellbeing of every team member.
- Overseeing the design and implementation of software systems used to create TargetSmart products and deliver data and services to TargetSmart clients.
- On-time delivery of projects by guiding the creation of project development plans and oversite of engineering activities and resources.
- Prioritization of projects and activities for the team in consultation with the Product Management team.
- Ensuring the support, security and availability of software services managed by the team.
- Participate as a member of the Senior Management Team alongside the leaders of other departments.
- Providing technical guidance to the software engineering team, other departments and company leadership and ensuring the implementation of software engineering best practice across the company.
- Supporting established organizational objectives by developing goals and strategies for the Technology Department.
- Managing the Department’s budget and expenses.
- Supporting the growth of individuals on the team through guided career and technical training.
- Minimum 5 years experience in Software Engineering Team and Project Management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent expertise.
- An outcome-driven and action-oriented mindset.
- Working knowledge of the modern software engineering and data management practices and technology.
Technologies We Use
- Amazon Web Services, in particular: s3 data lakes and query engines (Athena, Redshift, Glue, Hive), EMR, serverless (Lambda, Batch, Fargate), ECS, EC2, RDS, API Gateway, VPC and general network management, Workspaces
- DevOps with Git, BitBucket, CodeArtifact, CodeDeploy, Docker, Amazon Linux
- Data Visualization with Looker, D3.js, Observable
- Webapps using Django, Flask React.js, Auth0
- Data workflows with Alteryx, Prefect, dbt, Petl, Pandas, PySpark, SQL
- Project Management with Jira, Confluence, Slack
TargetSmart thrives on a unique atmosphere and culture. Our professionals, at all levels, work primarily as virtual teams spread across the country. We encourage remote working and provide the necessary technology to facilitate it. We also foster an open environment (virtually, of course) where team members seek input from and are encouraged to collaborate and exchange ideas with their colleagues at all levels of the company. We decentralize decision-making wherever possible and put authority where the knowledge is. It’s our belief that this creates an atmosphere of respect and integrity where we all work together toward common goals. We believe that a diverse, inclusive staff is a fundamental strength. We’re committed to hiring people of all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, and gender identities. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and members of untapped groups are welcome on our teams.
We offer a supportive workplace filled with dedicated and creative people and all the following benefits:
- COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION
- Including a 401(k) with generous company matching.
- 100% REMOTE WORKING OPPORTUNITY
- Always have been and always will be.
- TOP-NOTCH MEDICAL COVERAGE
- Domestic-partner inclusive, health, dental, vision, life, cancer coverage, and long-term disability insurance for you and your dependents.
- GENEROUS PAID TIME OFF
- 23 days of PTO per year. We believe in work-life balance and encourage you to use your time off. The company provides 10 ½ paid holidays per year.
- PAID PARENTAL LEAVE
- 8 weeks of fully paid time off. All genders qualify equally, and the policy includes adoptions.
How to Apply: Click here to apply for this job.