This Field Organizer position will report to the Organizing Director and work closely with other staff to develop and strengthen local chapters, focusing on certain states/regions. When it is safe to do so, the Field Organizer can expect to visit chapters an average of one to two weeks per month. A valid driver’s license is required as is close and easy access to a major airport for when travel is allowable again.
· Coach and train chapters (in person or remotely) around: strategic campaigns, educational and organizing resources, recruitment and engagement of members, participation in national-level priorities and other points as necessary
· Create statewide or regional spaces, including such as monthly District Calls, trainings, planning sessions and more so that chapters are working and learning together
· Work with chapter contacts and operations staff on regional training and relevant conference logistics including turnout, volunteer coordination, prep and execution
· Through 1:1, regional and national avenues, lift up chapter best practices and challenges to promote inter-chapter relationships and stronger organizing overall
· Identify organic leaders and support their development in engaging with local, national or other strategic work through trainings (in person or remotely) and other conversations
· Support at least one national priority committee or other national project committee both with an organizing partnership and making sure they are connected to other parts of DSA as needed
· Maintain high level of organization related to scheduling, advance and strategic planning, goal-setting, record keeping and other administrative needs that further the goals of the organizing program
· Handle administrative matters related to travel and perform other duties which may arise based on the needs of the organization
· At least two years of experience organizing to win a collective bargaining agreement, a contract, legislation, or other reform that increased grassroots power.
· Track record of recruiting, training, and managing volunteers, mobilizing large numbers of people to take action, developing grassroots leadership, and winning concrete campaigns.
· Proven ability to move people through public speaking, workshop facilitation, and one-on-one conversations.
· Exceptional listening, interpersonal, and general communication skills.
· A strong relationship-builder and team player.
· Enjoys working with volunteers.
· Self-starter that can efficiently manage multiple projects at once, use limited resources effectively, and work with a team.
· Handles high pressure situations with positive attitude, tact and professionalism.
· Demonstrated skill at using social media for organizing.
· Able to work irregular hours and available to travel.
· Commitment to democratic socialist, feminist, anti-racist, anti-heterosexist and pro-worker action and identify as a socialist and be grounded in democratic socialist politics; general agreement with the positions and perspectives of YDSA and DSA.
· Familiarity with and/or organizing experience multiple regions of the United States, including a mix of suburban, urban and rural.
· Grassroots fundraising experience.
· Familiarity with Google Suite.
· Experience with ActionKit, Action Network, Spoke, VAN and other CRMs.
· Graphic design and/or illustration skills.
· Popular or political education background.
· Creativity and sense of humor.
Reports to: Organizing Director
Work Schedule: Full-time. Work hours will fluctuate according to campaign needs and members’ availability.
Salary: $43,500-$48,500, non-exempt, depending on experience.
Benefits: We offer employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their spouse/partner and/or dependent children, and three weeks of vacation in the first year of employment, then four weeks each year thereafter.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
Application Deadline: January 15, 2021
To Apply: Click here
No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Democratic Socialists of America is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a staff that reflects the working class. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, DREAMers, as well as members of the LGBTQ communities.
The Democratic Socialists of America is a member-run, socialist organization with more than 280 groups in every state and the District of Columbia engaged in movement-building, public education, direct action, advocacy, and electoral politics. Our immediate goal is to build working-class power against the capitalist class while advancing transformative reforms like Medicare for All and a Green New Deal, supporting a robust labor movement, electing socialists to office, and shifting the public framing around capitalism and democratic socialism. DSA is a “big tent,” multi-tendency organization that welcomes everyone committed to democracy and socialism.