Young Democratic Socialists of America is the youth and student section of the Democratic Socialists of America, and a national organization of recognized campus chapters and several hundred activists. We are students organizing in our universities, colleges, and high schools to fight for the immediate needs of workers and students while building our capacity to fight for more radical and structural changes.
This position will report to the Organizing Director and work closely with other staff to develop and strengthen Young Democratic Socialists of America chapters and the national body, including new outreach efforts focused on HBCUs, community colleges and trade schools. This position will involve regular travel to meet with local groups, as appropriate and when it is deemed safe to do so.
· Lead and/or support national level YDSA work including strategic campaigns, member-led committees, new targeted constituency/growth programs and ensure that all work effectively engages chapters and membership
· Work with other DSA organizing staff to identify opportunities to integrate and strengthen YDSA-DSA partnerships, develop and assist with trainings and opportunities for mutual learning
· Train and support various YDSA permanent and campaign committees
· Work with YDSA chapters and members around coaching, organizing trainings and campaign best practices to produce increased capacity and strategic work
· Assist in the formation of new chapters of YDSA and maintenance of YDSA member lists.
· Ensure chapters successfully organize events, recruit participants, and have substantive follow up plans
· Conduct site visits, regional trainings/conferences, remote video sessions and 1:1 phone calls in support of organizational goals and other key aspects of the job
· Co-execute at least 1 national gathering for YDSA chapters and members in conjunction with elected/volunteer leadership and other national staff
· Share national best practices, ideas between local chapters, and promote statewide and regional communication and coordination
· Identify organic leaders and support their development in engaging with local, national or other strategic work through trainings and other conversations
· Supervise and develop potential YDSA interns at different phases of the school year
· Handle administrative matters related to travel and perform other duties which may arise based on the needs of the organization
· At least two years of experience organizing to win a collective bargaining agreement, a contract, legislation, campus administration pressure campaign or other reform that increased grassroots power
· Experience organizing students on campus at HBCUs and/or community colleges
· Thorough understanding of academic settings, politics, and calendars at secondary and post-secondary levels
· Track record of recruiting, training, and managing volunteers, mobilizing large numbers of people to take action, developing grassroots leadership, and winning concrete campaigns.
· Exceptional listening, interpersonal, and general communication skills
· A strong relationship-builder and team player
· Self starter that can efficiently manage multiple projects at once, use limited resources effectively, and work with a team
· Handles high pressure situations with positive attitude, tact and professionalism
· Demonstrated skill at using social media for organizing
· Able to work irregular hours
· Available to travel
· Valid driver’s license is required
· Commitment to democratic socialist, feminist, anti-racist, anti-heterosexist and pro-worker action and identify as a socialist and be grounded in democratic socialist politics; general agreement with the positions and perspectives of YDSA and DSA
· Personal networks of HBCU alumni or faculty.
· Personal networks with Black Greek organizations and/or other identity-based cultural campus formations
· Grassroots fundraising experience
· Familiarity with Google Drive/Google Suite
· Experience with ActionKit or other CRMs
· Graphic design and/or illustration skills
· Popular or political education background
· Sense of humor
Reports to: Organizing Director
Work Schedule: Full-time. Work hours will fluctuate according to campaign needs and members’ availability.
Salary: $43,500-$48,500, non-exempt, depending on experience.
Benefits: We offer employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their spouse/partner and/or dependent children, and three weeks of vacation in the first year of employment, then four weeks each year thereafter.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
Application Deadline: Apply as soon as possible, as interviews begin immediately.
To Apply: Click here
No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Democratic Socialists of America is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a staff that reflects the working class. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, DREAMers, as well as members of the LGBTQ communities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Democratic Socialists of America is a member-run, socialist organization with more than 280 groups in every state and the District of Columbia engaged in movement-building, public education, direct action, advocacy, and electoral politics. Our immediate goal is to build working-class power against the capitalist class while advancing transformative reforms like Medicare for All and a Green New Deal, supporting a robust labor movement, electing socialists to office, and shifting the public framing around capitalism and democratic socialism. DSA is a “big tent,” multi-tendency organization that welcomes everyone committed to democracy and socialism.