WHO WE ARE:
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
As an Engineering Manager for the ActBlue Technical Services (ATS) Cloud Platform team, you will provide vital support for our work and facilitate the development and execution of our roadmap. The Cloud Platform team’s mission is to ensure product engineers are confident in their infrastructure changes by the time they deploy to production. We make high-leverage investments in our infrastructure/Configuration/Policy as Code capabilities, in full DevOps lifecycle ownership of AWS resources, and in the systems we leverage for monitoring and observability.
As an organization that processes millions of dollars in contributions a day for thousands of campaigns and organizations, it is crucial that our technical teams have confidence that they won’t break our critical systems when they rapidly ship improvements that empower small-dollar donors and the campaigns and nonprofits they support.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Manage the team of Cloud Platform engineers responsible for giving ATS product developers the tools and systems they need to confidently enhance infrastructure and quickly respond if something breaks.
- Foster a culture of collaboration, continuous learning, and excellence. Cultivate a healthy, transparent, and collaborative remote-first culture rooted in psychological safety.
- Provide guidance and support to team members and encourage professional development through regular feedback and growth opportunities.
- Partner closely with product teams and other cross-functional stakeholders to drive the team’s vision, strategy, and long-term roadmap. Translate business goals into actionable plans.
- Facilitate technical decision-making with an emphasis on maintainability, scalability, and performance for complex infrastructure that aligns with best practices, software development methodologies, and coding standards.
- Oversee the end-to-end infrastructure development process while championing a developer-centric approach to iterate and improve on infrastructure capabilities.
- Promote strong and transparent communication channels both internally and with cross-functional stakeholders across the organization.
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand unique developer needs while balancing them with infrastructure cost efficiency.
- Identify and mitigate issues, risks, and barriers to inclusive, successful engineering practices.
WHAT YOU BRING:
- 7+ years of experience, including 2+ years of successful people management of an Engineering team.
- Experience leading substantial, multi-month projects within an engineering team.
- Familiarity with all phases of DevOps lifecycle as it applies to infrastructure development.
- A history of supporting, mentoring, and coaching more junior engineers as well as peers.
- Strong leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to build trust and consensus across teams and stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills with a team-centric and remote-reliant approach to discussion and collaboration.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, diversity, and fostering a strong sense of belonging on teams.
- Experience in providing project management and organizational support on complex technical projects end to end.
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING WITH:
- Stack: AWS-hosted Resources
- Compute = EC2
- Containers = EKS
- Storage = S3
- Databases = RDS
- Networking = VPC, Route 53
- Governance = CloudTrail
- Security = IAM, Secrets Manager
- Application Integration = Simple Queue Service
- Tooling: Terraform, Flux, Jenkins, Github Actions
- Costing: AWS Cost Explorer
- Monitoring: Datadog
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. Travel may be required on a limited basis to attend all-staff and departmental retreats (1-2 times per year). Additional travel may be required for select positions. ATS is currently authorized to support remote work employees in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C. and Wisconsin.
Salary Range Details:
Salary Range: $173,676 – $192,209
ActBlue is committed to consistent compensation practices across our organization. Final salary offers will take into account factors such as candidate experience, interview performance and current team salary parity.
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families; plus fully-paid health reimbursement arrangement to use for out of pocket expenses and fully-paid short- and long-term disability
- Fully paid basic and AD&D life insurance and a voluntary supplemental life insurance option
- Dependent and health care flexible spending account options
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) benefits for employees
- Automatic 2% Employer-paid 401K contribution, plus up to an additional 6% match on employee contributions
- A minimum of three months paid medical, family and parental leave (for all new parents, adoptions included)
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including quarterly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Supervisory role not part of the Bargaining Unit position: Certain employees who report to this position may be covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
ActBlue is deeply committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. We commit to retaining, developing, recruiting, and hiring a diverse staff community. We honor the dignity of all. We celebrate their unique qualities. And we recognize the wide range of human differences, backgrounds, and intersectional identities that enrich the workspace and help us better meet our mission. If you feel a connection to our mission and see your interests reflected in this job description we encourage you to apply – even if you don’t meet every requirement.
ActBlue is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position. If you would like to request an accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com to get started.