WHO WE ARE
ActBlue is a nonprofit that builds tech and infrastructure for Democratic campaigns, progressive-aligned causes, and people trying to make an impact in order to fuel long-term, people-powered change. If you’ve ever given online to a Democrat or progressive organization, chances are you’ve used our powerful online fundraising platform.
We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors and help thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build grassroots movements. We envision a democracy where everyone looking to make progressive people-powered change can easily and effectively deploy their resources, energy, and creativity to shape our country and futures. Each and every one of us, from the political activists to the tech innovators to the customer service pros, is fully committed to our mission.
The Community Building Team’s mission is to build reliable, frictionless, and insightful solutions that enable progressive advocates to engage their communities sustainably and ethically. We’re a highly motivated and collaborative group of engineers, designers, and product folks who value how software can drive change.
We are looking for a people-first Engineering Manager to lead our team. You will work closely with your team’s engineers, Product Managers, and Product Designers to deliver high-quality experiences for our campaigns and organizations at scale. You will be the technical thought partner for your team members, serve as a sounding board for technical decision making by individual contributors, and provide thoughtful feedback on design documents and architectural decisions. In addition, you will be a committed coach and mentor, responsible for fostering the growth of your team members while cultivating an inclusive, equitable, and transparent culture across your team and the engineering organization.
Our engineering and product organization is made up of 70+ people and growing. We’re organized into interdisciplinary teams of three to seven people with clear areas of complementary focus. We work with technologies like Ruby on Rails, Postgres, React, Typescript, GraphQL, and AWS cloud-based technologies.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
- Partner with product management, Product Design & Research, Data, Security, and Tech Ops to drive technical projects and ensure product delivery.
- Facilitate technical decision making with an emphasis on maintainability, scalability, and performance of high-traffic web applications.
- Provide dedicated coaching for engineers on your team through regular feedback and professional growth opportunities.
- Prioritize engineering needs amongst product goals and identify key engineering metrics that monitor and diagnose the health and performance of the community building product area.
- Identify and mitigate issues, risks, and barriers to inclusive, successful engineering practices.
- Cultivate a healthy, transparent, and collaborative remote-fist culture rooted in psychological safety.
- Facilitate the growth of the engineering organization through hiring and recruiting.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING:
- Hands-on software development experience (particularly high-traffic web applications) leading complex technical projects from beginning to end.
- People management experience: One to two years of experience supporting a team of individual contributors at multiple levels.
- Strong leadership skills, with a demonstrated ability to build trust and consensus across teams and stakeholders.
- Strong communication skills with a team-centric and remote-reliant approach to discussion and collaboration.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, diversity, and fostering a strong sense of belonging on teams.
- A successful track record recruiting, retaining, and growing engineering teams.
OUR ENGINEERING VALUES:
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies.
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for millions of people and take that responsibility seriously.
- Security is at the center of everything we do. We are always on the lookout for ways to further harden our platform.
- We know that code isn’t just a set of instructions for machines, but communication with other humans; style, elegance, and respect are important.
- We believe that an ability to balance paying off technical debt and rapidly completing a project contributes to the health of the codebase, engineering team, and organization.
- We believe that being correct isn’t enough; respect for your colleagues and users is fundamental.
LOCATION AND COMPENSATION:
This posting is for a full-time, remote, salaried position. ActBlue is currently authorized to support remote work employees in California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Washington D.C., and Wisconsin.
Salary Range: We offer a competitive salary and a generous compensation package, which includes the benefits listed below:
- Flexible work schedules and an unlimited time-off policy
- Fully paid and trans-inclusive health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their families
- Automatic 2% 401K contribution, plus up to 6% match
- Three months paid parental leave for all new parents, adoptions included; 4 weeks of a fully paid flexible work schedule; plus an additional one week of paid leave and an additional one week of flexible work schedule for every full year the employee has worked for ActBlue
- Commuter or home-office benefits, including a $1,000 home-office setup allowance for all new full-time remote employees
- Additional perks including monthly snack deliveries and digital subscriptions to the Boston Globe & New York Times
ActBlue is unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply. ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status.
ActBlue is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the interview and employment process, including using our online system to apply for a position.