FSG is a global nonprofit consulting firm that partners with foundations and corporations to create equitable systems change. Through customized consulting services, innovative thought leadership, and learning communities, we’re working to create a world where everyone can live up to their full potential.
Manager, People Operations & Employee Experience (US-based role)
The Manager, People Operations & Employee Experience will drive FSG’s US-based recruiting and onboarding efforts and will partner closely with others to maintain accurate benefits systems. This role will focus on efforts across all US-based Impact Units and Operations Teams, currently staffed at ~60 employees. As a member of the People Team, this role will incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion principles into all aspects of their work. This role will report to the Senior Manager, People Operations and Employee Experience.
FSG is offering start dates in March/early April 2024.
Recruiting: Act as the primary driver of FSG’s US-based recruiting function, shaping our searches from inception to hire in partnership with Impact Units/Central Operations teams.Partner with Impact Unit and functional leads to define search needs, calibrate interviewers, and advance hiring decisions; develop annual recruiting targets in partnership with members of the People Team.
Design and coordinate searches – including scheduling interviews, communicating with candidates and interviewers, and advising hiring managers – and conduct interviews as needed.
- Create all search materials (job descriptions, evaluation matrices, offer letters, etc.).
- Maintain the applicant tracking system (Greenhouse) and analyze qualitative and quantitative recruiting data to support informed people decisions.
Onboarding: Act as the primary driver of efforts to plan, coordinate, and execute welcome and learning processes for all new US-based staff.Build detailed onboarding plans to introduce new hires to their team, role, benefits, colleagues, and firm culture while creating a welcoming environment.
- Collaborate with direct managers to prepare for their new hire; work closely with Finance and IT Teams to prepare key resources for new staff.
- Facilitate onboarding sessions and regular check-ins with new hires to support their continued connection with FSG through their early tenure.
- Partner closely with the Senior Manager, US Consulting People Operations to coordinate learning and early work opportunities for US Consulting hires.
Benefits Administration: In close partnership with the Senior Manager of People Operations and Employee Experience, maintain accurate data and invoices in US benefits-related databases and support US-based staff in receiving their benefits.
- Process personnel data in benefit databases and track and deliver applicable state and federal notices, supporting FSG’s compliance as an employer.
- Monitor invoices for US-based HR platforms and benefits, identifying discrepancies and reconciling expenses with the Finance Team.
- Support delivery of key projects (e.g., Open Enrollment, policy acknowledgements, etc.) and respond to staff benefit/policy questions in partnership with the Senior Manager of People Operations and Employee Experience.
- Maintain relationships with multiple HR vendors, escalating staff, billing, or technical questions as appropriate.
Support other People Team members and projects to address the overall needs of the firm.
- Manage the approval process for professional development funds among US-based staff.
- Partner with other People Team members to deliver people-related processes as needed; assignments may include employee engagement projects, performance management, offboarding efforts, supporting Asia-based People Team colleagues, etc.
- Experience as a member of a human resources or people development team. At least 3 years of experience with recruiting-specific efforts is required; additional experience with onboarding/talent development and benefits administration efforts is preferred.
- Experience applying equity and inclusion principles in design and execution of talent functions with attention to diversity across multiple dimensions and intersections including race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, etc.
- Commitment to detail, including an ability to perform multi-step and overlapping tasks thoroughly and accurately with minimal oversight.
- Project management experience, including work planning, anticipating problems in advance while balancing multiple priorities, and keeping the big picture in mind while delivering on the details.
In addition, the candidate will have experience with:
- Candidate communication, conveying the organized and empathetic messaging needed for a candidate’s first point of contact with FSG.
- Ability to communicate clearly and be direct when needed, in particular when in contact with stakeholders or vendors.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment where sharing insights and knowledge to drive impact is expected and celebrated.
- Dedication to maintaining a high level of confidentiality, discretion, and sensitivity regarding employee information.
- Facilitation skills, including small-group sessions and workplace trainings.
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis experience with the ability to translate findings into clear and meaningful recommendations.
- Passion for FSG’s mission to create large-scale, lasting social change; prior experience working in professional services and knowledge of the social sector preferred.
This position can be based anywhere in the continental US; this role will need to occasionally accommodate East Coast working hours.* The starting salary for this role is $99,800 – $105,100 USD and will be determined based on experience, as defined by FSG’s established compensation structure. Salaries are set according to relevant market data, commitment to internal equity, and in alignment with our explicit, non-negotiation policy. Opportunities for annual salary growth are determined based on tenure and performance. We also offer a generous benefits package including: health insurance with 100% of premiums covered by FSG, 3 weeks paid vacation, a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match, cell phone stipend, disability and life insurance, and more.
This position will be required to pass a background check.
Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for our U.S. offices. In addition, we are unable to support the OPT Training Visa, as this visa will eventually require sponsorship.
Hybrid Work Model
US-based staff can work remotely (from within the continental US) or can opt-in to work in our offices in Boston and Washington, DC – independently and for in-person meetings – in accordance with local regulations and office safety measures. FSG staff have access to a variety of resources to encourage their well-being in our hybrid environment.
*FSG is currently allowing individuals to opt-in to travel and in-person meetings or events for work. Hybrid or virtual alternatives can be planned as an alternative to travel. This approach is subject to change as FSG continues to develop remote work practices and policies, with notice to and input from our staff.
Please complete our online application, which includes submitting your resume and responding to the below short-answer prompts. Applications are reviewed and advanced on a rolling basis, so we encourage all interested candidates to apply as early as possible.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to equal employment and promotion opportunity regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
FSG is a group of passionate and talented people who are fiercely committed to contributing to social change. We apply this commitment to all aspects of our work and strive to lead a recruiting process that honors the experience and success of all applicants, especially those from populations that are historically marginalized in our field.
We invite you to complete the optional demographic questions below, which are designed to help us evaluate our inclusion efforts and asses the diversity of our applicant pool. Answering these questions is completely voluntary, and any information offered will be kept secure and confidential. Your decision to answer or skip any of the below demographic questions will not affect your job application or opportunities for future employment with FSG.
If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact Rachel Brewer at Rachel.Brewer@fsg.org. As set forth in FSG’s Equal Employment Opportunity statement, we do not discriminate on the basis of any protected group status under any applicable law