Grounded Solutions Network is a national nonprofit dedicated to shaping communities to be inclusive and filled with opportunity for all. Where we live matters. It determines what opportunities we have and how our kids grow up. Everyone should be able to live in a place that offers opportunity: access to jobs, parks, public transit, quality schools and stable homes. Strong and inclusive communities provide the foundation that people and families need to thrive, both in the present and for future generations.
As a national membership organization, we support nonprofit and government practitioners, community resident leaders, advocates, elected officials, and other housing professionals with the tools and knowledge they need for success. We promote the creation and preservation of quality housing that remains affordable for generations. Our work specifically targets creating and expanding housing with lasting affordability, using a racial equity lens.
Grounded Solutions Network is committed to fostering an organizational culture rooted in critical thinking and consciousness about race and class. We seek candidates who are dedicated to achieving racial equity. We are committed to building a staff team that is as racially and culturally diverse as the communities that we serve. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
About the Position
We are seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and experienced Director of Philanthropic Initiatives who is inspired by our vision to advance housing justice at scale, leading to more inclusive communities across the nation. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to help shape organizational fundraising culture. We have developed and implemented an existing strategic fundraising plan to sustain and grow our organization. We typically raise $4 to $5 million in annual revenue and desire to increase that revenue to at least $7 million per year. We are seeking a Director of Philanthropic Initiatives, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, who will expand our philanthropic relationships to diversify and grow our fundraising success. The ideal candidate will possess a strong foundation in non-profit fundraising operations, enjoy combining high-level strategy with hands-on proactive implementation, be willing to “roll up their sleeves” to achieve annual fundraising target goals, and be energized by the opportunity to serve as a public-facing representative for the organization.
Building on Grounded Solutions Network’s history of securing six- and seven-figure support, the Director will focus on cultivating new and expanding existing funder relationships with a diverse set of national and local foundations and corporations. The Director will also be directly responsible for planning and executing a new program to grow revenue from individual donors by implementing an integrated path to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward relationships with individual donors at every level. This position closely collaborates with the Chief Executive Officer and Senior Leadership Team to implement organization-wide and program-specific development strategies. The Director will also partner with the Board Chair, Board of Directors fundraising committee, and key stakeholders to help formulate overall strategy and direction for the organization. The candidate will join a highly collaborative team of 20+ colleagues who have a shared passion for the organization and its mission.
- Establish and achieve annual fundraising goals.
- Lead the development of departmental fundraising strategies and play a key role in shaping organization-wide fundraising strategy making.
- Work with the executive team to refine strategy, protocol, and procedures related to the fundraising program; communicate priorities internally to staff.
- Implement fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles.
- Generate targeted external messages related to donor communications.
- In collaboration with the Director of Communications, create content for fundraising materials and presentations.
Resource Development (60%)
- Identify, research, and evaluate prospective individual, corporate, and foundation donors to evaluate trends and opportunities that align with Grounded Solutions strategic mission focus to expand our existing donor prospect pipeline.
- Lead, manage and coordinate a cultivation and stewardship program that includes one-on-one meetings, annual signature cultivation events, regular communications and reports, and other initiatives to engage and inform prospective donors.
- Conduct in-person cultivation, briefing and solicitation meetings, independently and in partnership with Grounded Solutions’ executive and volunteer leadership and senior staff.
- Assume primary responsibility for developing and executing all funding proposal submissions.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development program.
Fundraising Operations (20%)
- Oversee and coordinate the development of systems, policies, and procedures to support fundraising operations, including customization (as needed), and administration of a Salesforce donor database that respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
- Oversee and coordinate efforts to acknowledge, recognize, and record all gifts to Grounded Solutions in a consistent and timely manner.
- Prepare regular reports on progress related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities.
- Monitor and analyze budget reports on fund development revenues and expenditures and recommend changes as necessary.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications for Entry into this Position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- At least eight years of progressive development experience, preferably with an affordable housing, community development, social justice, civil rights, policy, and/or membership association nonprofit.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university.
- Successful track record of soliciting and closing corporate, foundation, and/ or individual gifts at all levels with an emphasis on six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Passionate about organization’s mission to advance housing solutions with lasting affordability.
- Experience in growing and managing a portfolio of corporate, foundation, and individual donors.
- Experience managing donor engagement, cultivation, and stewardship.
- Familiarity with fundraising administration (best-practices, protocol, procedures, and record/ data management).
- Strong supervisory skills and ability to work with staff located remotely across the country.
- Strong organizational skills that include attention to detail, time management, resourcefulness when meeting challenges, and the ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Strong proficiency required in MS Office Suite; and direct experience required in use of a CRM system to manage and track annual fundraising progress, Salesforce preferred.
- Excellent diplomacy, verbal and written communication skills, time management, and attention to detail.
- Highly self-motivated with history of achieving results and remaining accountable while working autonomously.
- Ability to implement an entrepreneurial approach to fundraising with the capacity to generate new donor relationships, identify top opportunities, and effectively maximize revenue potential.
- Experience in fostering collaboration across a national decentralized organization preferred.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification a plus.
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required.
Occasional out-of-state travel approximately 5 to 10 trips per year, to attend meetings, conferences, and fundraising events.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Due to COVID-19 impacts, employees are primarily working remotely until it is safe to fully return to the office, but applicants must be willing to transition to an office or co-working location when it is safe to do so. All staff are expected to demonstrate the ability to work remotely while maintaining high levels of efficiency and productivity and communicating effectively with their direct supervisor and colleagues.
Starting Salary Range
$90k to $125k annually, commensurate with experience.
Grounded Solutions Network is requiring all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by January 1, 2022. All candidates must be fully vaccinated or plan to be fully vaccinated by their start date. ‘Fully vaccinated’ means that two weeks have passed since a second dose of the 2-dose series for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine. Offers of employment will be contingent on compliance with Grounded Solutions Network’s COVID-19 vaccination policy. A current employee or applicant (i) who is disabled or who has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination, or (ii) who objects to being vaccinated on the basis of a sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice may request an exemption from this vaccination policy.
Join our team and build your career with us! We offer:
- Supportive, stimulating and collaborative environment with passionate colleagues dedicated to building community and equity.
- Opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, matching 401k and paid time off.
This search is being run by NRG Consulting Group. Please contact email@example.com with questions.