Jews United for Justice (JUFJ), along with our sister 501(c)4 organization, the JUFJ Campaign Fund, is seeking a full-time Communications Associate or Communications Manager to support our work to advance our organizing campaigns, programming, and education for social change in Maryland.
The ideal candidate will be a talented and creative communicator who will serve as a key member of the Communications team that supports the organization as a whole. They will have excellent interpersonal skills, an orientation toward teamwork and collaboration, and a demonstrated track record of managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. This position reports to the Program Director and works closely with other communications staff as well as staff across the organization. This is a full-time, exempt position that falls within a bargaining unit represented for collective bargaining purposes by a labor organization (NPEU/Local 70, IFPTE).
- Collaborate with staff to create both regular and one-off communications for JUFJ’s Baltimore, Montgomery County, and Maryland statewide work, including compelling written and visual content for newsletters, action alerts, one-pagers, social media, websites, petitions, op-eds, press conferences, etc. Provide communications support to staff in other departments and jurisdictions as needed.
- Follow and understand the details of our legislative and policy work in order to write about it in an accurate, compelling way that is tailored to different audiences, including our grassroots base and the legislators we are working to persuade.
- Collaborate with volunteer leaders on official JUFJ testimony, op-eds, blog posts, etc., in coordination with organizers.
- Work with the Senior Communications Manager to support coalition communications requests as needed.
- Work with the Senior Communications Manager to ensure the materials reflect JUFJ’s commitment to racial equity.
- Work with the Rabbi in Residence to incorporate Jewish values and framing into communications.
- In collaboration with other Communications and Organizing teams, create content for the JUFJ Campaign Fund’s work in Baltimore, Montgomery County, and statewide in Maryland.
- Use digital media to increase JUFJ’s reach and mobilize our community to advance campaigns for social change in Baltimore, Montgomery County, and statewide in Maryland. Work closely with community organizers to develop and implement plans for online mobilization and outreach.
- Livestream and/or take photos and videos at actions and press conferences as needed, or ensure that others are assigned to do so.
- Update organizational websites with Baltimore, Montgomery County, and statewide Maryland events, action alerts, blog posts, and other content.
- In collaboration with other staff, support outreach for the JUFJ Campaign Fund in Baltimore, Montgomery County, and statewide in Maryland.
Administrative Tasks, Team Infrastructure, and Tracking
- Work with our data management platform, EveryAction, as well as with Google Analytics and other tools, to track and interpret communications data.
- Partner with other staff in supporting communications related to large annual events, such as the Heschel Vision Awards, Labor Seder and Social Justice Seder, and Maryland statewide campaign kickoff.
- Regularly discuss communications needs with the Maryland staff team and implement related tasks and projects.
- Provide support for press conferences and actions as needed.
- Attend staff meetings and other internal meetings as needed.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Jews United for Justice seeks candidates with the following qualifications:
- For the Communications Associate: At least one year of experience in communications, marketing, digital media, or digital organizing.
- For the Communications Manager: At least three years of experience in communications, marketing, digital media, or digital organizing.
Experience can be a mix of paid and volunteer. Preference for experience or familiarity with the intersection of communications and online or grassroots organizing.
Communication skills: Your writing should be clear, compelling, and personable. You can tailor a message to multiple audiences and can edit others’ writing. You have strong listening and verbal communication skills and a sense of humor.
Aligned Values: Actively demonstrates integrity, a commitment to racial justice, and alignment with the mission of Jews United for Justice.
Exceptional teamwork skills and the ability to manage up, down, and sideways with colleagues and volunteers. You view your own work as integral to the team’s success. Candidates should have a commitment to working in a collaborative team setting.
High Attention to Detail: Demonstrated commitment to meeting high standards in a fast-paced environment, and a history of managing a high volume of work without losing track of important details. You have a preference about the Oxford comma.
Problem Solving Skills: Able to manage and prioritize work when faced with competing deadlines. Excellent problem-solving skills and a strong sense of ownership over tasks, including follow-through, and willing to be persistent and do what it takes to get the job done.
Technology: You are comfortable working with technology and have experience with – or the appetite and aptitude to learn more about – Google Suite, WordPress, Adobe, Canva, Slack, Asana, social media, and CRM/database platforms (JUFJ uses EveryAction / NGP VAN).
The following qualifications are also desired but not required:
- Knowledge of local Baltimore, Montgomery County and/or Maryland communities, politics, and/or advocacy
- Familiarity with Jewish communities and/or Jewish culture, history, or texts
- Basic graphic design and visual communications skills
- Media relations/PR experience
- Experience understanding social and web analytics, such as Google Analytics, to drive strategy
- Some understanding or experience of community organizing, progressive politics, and/or nonprofit work and the role that communications plays in them
Compensation: 1-5 years of experience: $50,000 – $65,000 per year commensurate with experience
Benefits: JUFJ offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical & dental insurance premiums, 25% of premiums for employee dependents, 3% employer retirement contributions, short-term disability income protection insurance, and generous paid time off, including 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave, and a sabbatical every 7 years on staff.
Location: This is a full-time position based out of JUFJ’s Washington, DC or Baltimore office. All staff are permitted to work remotely unless attending an event or action.
JUFJ is committed to building a diverse team that draws on the strengths of people with a variety of identities, backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. People of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and immigrants are particularly encouraged to apply. You do not need to be Jewish. Please send a cover letter indicating your years of experience and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate Communications Associate or Communications Manager in the subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Jews United for Justice
Jews United for Justice advances economic, racial, and social justice in the Washington, DC and Maryland region by educating and mobilizing our local Jewish communities to action. We move our region closer to equity and justice by advancing issue-based campaigns that make real, immediate, and concrete improvements in people’s lives and build the power of working-class and poor communities of color. Through these campaigns we develop leaders, build our Jewish grassroots community, shift the consciousness of our community, and build the collective power needed to undo systemic racism and inequality.