Local Progress and Local Progress Impact Lab is seeking a Texas Chapter Manager
About Local Progress and Local Progress Impact Lab
Local Progress and the Local Progress Impact Lab work collectively to advance a racial and economic justice agenda through all levels of government. Local Progress (LP) is a movement of more than 1,300 local elected officials advancing a racial and economic justice agenda through all levels of local government. The Local Progress Impact Lab (the Impact Lab) brings together local leaders, partners, and experts to build the knowledge, skills, and leadership needed to advance racial and economic justice at the local level.
About the Position:
Local Progress and Local Progress Impact Lab is looking for a highly skilled Texas Chapter Manager with a track record of organizing, strategic planning, base and coalition building. The Texas Chapter Manager will be part of the Organizing Team and will be responsible for building our infrastructure in the state, particularly in rural, border and small localities.
This is an exciting job for an organizer with a deep interest in diverse localities, including but not limited to municipal, school board and county level work and is interested in supporting the leadership of local elected officials, deepening coordination between elected officials and progressive community and labor organizations and developing and implementing a plan to build power for progressive issues across the state.
The Texas Chapter Manager will report to the Deputy Organizing Director and will be part of the Organizing team.
Lead and grow Local Progress’ work in Texas:
- Grow and strengthen membership including developing and implementing a strategy to continue to both recruit new members & increase engagement of existing members in key geographic areas in the state.
- Ensure the Texas Chapter remains in compliance by maintaining and growing the Local Progress Texas Organizing Committee (OC). The OC must reflect the racial, gender and geographic diversity of Texas.
- Plan and execute local meetings and trainings for Local Progress Texas members
- Provide and facilitate support to members in policy, communications and campaigns
- Identify and develop deep relationships with progressive community and labor partners in Texas to increase alignment of priorities and collaboration by establishing Local Progress as a trusted and strong coalition partner that helps strategize, launch and coordinate local and statewide campaigns.
Support Local Progress and Local Progress Impact Lab’s national work:
- Support work on large national Local Progress and Local Progress Impact Lab events such as the national convening
- Position may include national projects (policy, organizing or campaign related), identified based on skills of the applicant and organizational need
- Must reside in the state of Texas
- At least 6 years of organizing or campaign experience
- Ability to manage multiple projects, create and execute work plans, anticipate obstacles and identify ways to navigate challenges, identify and involve stakeholders appropriately, and drive projects independently
- Strong communication and relationship building skills; experience in relational organizing and an ability to relate to a diverse group of people from a variety of local contexts and backgrounds
- A commitment to inside/outside strategy and movement governance that features deep partnership between “outside” organizing and “inside” elected officials.
- A demonstrated commitment to racial, gender and economic justice and a deep interest in local policy, politics, and government
- Previous experience with training and/or meeting facilitation preferred
- Ambition, drive, energy, and the ability to work flexible, long hours when necessary and travel throughout the state
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Experience in issue campaigns, advocacy, base building organizing, electoral experience, and/or government.
- Experience with multi-stakeholder collaboration and/or coalition building
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which takes into account years of experience, location, job category, and other factors, but is expected to be $70,000 – $80,000 based on experience and geographic location.
We have a generous benefits package, including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 25 vacation days per year, 15 sick days per year, paid holidays, and contributions to individuals’ 403(b) plans. The Local Progress office is closed between December 24 and January 1 annually.
We encourage applicants to apply as early as practicable. Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis. Resume review will begin on March 3. If you have any time constraints, please indicate as much in your application.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume through the JazzHR portal.
Local Progress Values
- Respect: We value people and treat each other with dignity. We strive to understand each other as full human beings, and give each other grace and room to grow.
- Honesty: We communicate directly with each other, are honest about our strengths and our shortcomings, and are transparent about who has what level of information and authority and why.
- Groundedness: We are authentic, and have high humility and low ego. We ground our work in the day-to-day reality and needs of our members.
- Mutual accountability: We do what we say we’re going to do, follow through on our commitments to each other and to our members, and we hold each other to a high bar. We self-reflect and develop each other’s skills as leaders.
- Nuance: We understand that our work is complex and hold space for multiple viewpoints, contradictions, and tensions. We can hold many things as true while making decisions that advance our mission.
- Impact: We empower our team to make decisions to drive their work. We are focused on results, persistent in overcoming obstacles, and adapt to changing external conditions. We take pride in our work.
- Collaboration: We come together across different levels of power to advance shared interests. We center what’s best for the organization and are team players.
- Joy: We value playfulness, humor, and joy as ways to create community, connection, and goodwill that sustains us through the challenges inherent in our work.
Local Progress is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, womxn, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTIQAA+ community.