As the Vice President of Public Engagement, you will provide global strategic leadership and mentorship for the Public Engagement Department, including social media, celebrity relations, video production, editing, and media relations. You will work with communications teams in Brazil, the United States, Latin America, and India supporting short-term and long-range goals, as well as help establish, oversee, and implement strategies, plans, and policies to further the mission of Mercy For Animals.
- Work with team members to develop and implement innovative and effective communications and content strategies to help Mercy For Animals advance and win campaigns, reach new and large digital audiences, and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders (journalists, celebrities, influencers)
- Oversee and mentor four–five regional communications team leaders and a full communications staff of over 20 across the United States, Brazil, India, and Mexico
- Balance long-term strategy and project management with agile media and social media response to ensure that developments relating to Mercy For Animals are amplified amid a rapidly changing landscape
- Provide mentorship and support to communications teams in more countries and regions as Mercy For Animals expands
- Set and manage public engagement’s budget
- Oversee and help guide urgent and crisis-response communications for the organization
- Play a lead role in brand management
- Craft and continually update Mercy For Animals’ messaging standards and ensure all public-facing communications are consistent and aligned with our mission and values
- Assist with team projects (video, social media, celebrity relations, and media relations) as needed
- Ensure Mercy For Animals’ communications are equitable and inclusive to authentically and meaningfully grow our reach to marginalized communities
- Serve as a media spokesperson
- Mid- to senior-level experience (five years if in the United States) in communications or a closely related area
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills
- Exceptional management and leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate professionally and persuasively
- Outstanding organizational skills, with ability to manage multiple projects and relationships and to take initiative
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy For Animals
- Deep understanding of and commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within Mercy For Animals and the animal protection movement; experience leading communications strategies to meaningfully engage marginalized communities and audiences
- Fluency in written and spoken English (Spanish or Portuguese as a first or second language a plus)
Compensation and Benefits*
Earn an annual salary of $75,000–$80,000 (in the United States), depending on qualifications. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual earnings.
*Benefits and salary outside the United States will be shared early in the interview process.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice. Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.
About Mercy For Animals
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.
We work to eliminate the worst cruelty for farmed animals, while increasing the adoption of plant-based food choices through various approaches: Working with major food companies and legislators and running campaigns; Conducting undercover investigations; Growing the farmed animal movement; Introducing innovative constructive solutions; And collaborating with other movements toward a more just and equitable food system for all.