Benefits: Health care, Health savings account, retirement plan, generous paid time off, two-month paid sabbatical after 4 years of service, phone and travel stipends.
The Criminal Justice & Environmental Justice Organizing Manager will be responsible for managing a team of community organizers throughout Michigan. This person will serve on the organization’s senior leadership team as the voice for our criminal justice and environmental justice campaigns. The Organizing Manager will work closely with organizers and Organizing Directors to implement strategy, membership, and fundraising work plans.
Our work for criminal justice reform focuses on ending the racist system of mass incarceration in Michigan. Goals include increasing employment and housing opportunities for returning citizens, reducing sentences, promoting accountable policing, ending the school to prison pipeline, and providing greater re-entry services.
Pollution and climate change disproportionately impact the lives and health of low income communities and people of color. Our work for environmental justice focuses on fighting the climate crisis and ensuring that everyone in Michigan has clean air and water.
- Guide staff on a weekly basis to help achieve their goals
- Specifically related to base building, campaigns, fundraising, governing power, leadership development
- Provide training and assist in finding training opportunities for staff growth
- Train new staff on work plans, organizational vision
- Hold staff accountable to reach goals
- Work closely with staff to develop annual goals, weekly and monthly work plans, and lead regular evaluations
- Respond to staff needs and emergencies and guide staff through difficult situations
- Lead hiring process for new positions in regional departments
- Campaign Stability
- Guide staff to develop campaign strategy plans and execute plans
- Work closely with Michigan United organizing staff to develop, refine and further the goals of the campaign.
- Stay current on issues vital to the affected communities, the political landscape, and other matters that affect the ability of Michigan United to fulfill its mission, goals and objectives.
- Member and Leader Training and Recruitment
- Build relationships with impacted residents and deepen their participation in criminal justice and environmental justice concerns.
- Train community leaders in organizing skills and understanding the political landscape. Engage community leaders in having leadership roles in organizing an environmental justice campaign.
- Build and nurture relationships with other social justice and power organizations around our work.
- Support the growth and stability of Michigan United by bringing in new members and supporting base building efforts.
- Hold staff accountable for setting and reaching fundraising goals
- Lead writing, submitting, and following up on grant proposals and reports
- Develop funding relationships as needed
- Organizational & Regional Strategy
- Actively help shape organizational culture and vision
- Work closely with all Organizing Directors and Campaign Managers to achieve
- Organizational goals
- Experience working in community-based settings and/or demonstrated relationship-building skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Comfortable setting clear expectations and holding staff accountable to them;
- Ability to motivate diverse groups of people and work well as a team member;
- Self-direction and self-motivation, and ability to work collaboratively and independently;
- Ability to build and maintain constructive, positive relationships;
- Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice;
- Self-motivation and creative in problem solving;
- Literate in common computer applications;
- Ability to handle multiple job tasks and to meet deadlines;
- Commitment to leadership development of leaders and members;
- Ability to travel and to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings;
- Multilingual skills are a plus; and
- Access to reliable transportation daily
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Michigan United
Michigan United is a statewide organization of community members and institutions fighting for economic and racial justice. We use the tools of community organizing, leadership training, advocacy, media work, and civic engagement to run strategic campaigns that win real change. We're committed to winning a better world for all of our communities, not just the privileged.
We are the largest community organizing group in the state, with offices in Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and Flint. We represent 100 member community organizations.
Michigan United organizes along the following issue areas: immigrants’ rights, criminal justice reform, environmental justice, universal family care (including health, child care, elder care and paid sick time) and civic engagement. We work to build the capacity of community members who are directly impacted these issues to lead and win concrete reforms that will change their own lives and shift the balance of power in our state.
Michigan United, along with Michigan People’s Campaign, our affiliated 501(c)(4), is serious about building long-term, political power with the aim of transforming our political and economic system into one that puts people and the planet first. Our main office is in Southwest Detroit, with additional offices in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Flint. As a racial and economic justice organization, we actively encourage individuals who are underrepresented on the basis of race, ethnicity, income and sexual orientation, as well as those who share the life experiences of the members we serve, to apply.