Benefits: Health care, Health savings account, retirement plan, generous paid time off, two-month paid sabbatical after 4 years of service, phone and travel stipends.
Immigrant families, students, and workers are a vital part o four communities and deserve the chance to live in dignity, not in fear. Unfortunately, our country is growing increasingly hostile to immigrants – deportations have increased dramatically, children are being separated from their parents, Muslims and refugees are being targeted and students and workers don't have the chance to reach their full potential. We work with grassroots immigrant leaders to oppose these unjust policies, and advocate for something better: a country, a state, and a community where everyone has a fair chance, no matter where you come from. That's why we're fighting for proactive measures, like drivers licenses for all, full funding of immigrant integration programs and language access programs at schools and state government.
- Work to help build a local coalition of groups working to promote immigrant civil rights.
- Identify and recruit local organizations to join our work, building the capacity of community organizations to identify and document civil rights abuses, and organizing campaigns to hold law enforcement accountable.
- Lead strategic campaigns to make real change in the lives of immigrants in South East Michigan and hold our leaders accountable.
- Build a consistent organizing committee of impacted residents to move strategic planning of the campaign.
- Work closely with Michigan United Immigrant Justice organizing staff and leaders to develop, refine and further the goals of the campaign.
- Train community leaders in organizing skills and understanding the political landscape. Engage community leaders in having leadership roles in organizing an Immigrant Justice campaign.
- Lead the Detroit Freedom Cities effort to get Marijuana tax revenue to improve legal representation for immigrants in Detroit
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
- Passion for our issues and vision of a more just world.
- Passionate for developing the leadership of volunteer leaders.
- Knowledge of (or willing to learn) principles of community organizing and advocacy strategies.
- Ability to perform with a high degree of skill in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent judgment in internal and external communication and in managing internal and external relationships.
- Highly organized and deadline-oriented.
- Spanish Bilingual required
- Experience in community organizing, with experience in grassroots leadership development preferred
- Experience in community organizing, with experience in grassroots leadership development preferred;
- Office & field environment with moderate amounts of standing, walking, climbing stairs, ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Normal business hours, some additional hours required with frequent Saturday activities.
- This position is based in Metro Detroit.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Michigan United
Michigan United is a statewide organization of community members and institutions fighting for economic and racial justice. We use the tools of community organizing, leadership training, advocacy, media work, and civic engagement to run strategic campaigns that win real change. We're committed to winning a better world for all of our communities, not just the privileged.
We are the largest community organizing group in the state, with offices in Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and Flint. We represent 100 member community organizations.
Michigan United organizes along the following issue areas: immigrants’ rights, criminal justice reform, environmental justice, universal family care (including health, child care, elder care and paid sick time) and civic engagement. We work to build the capacity of community members who are directly impacted these issues to lead and win concrete reforms that will change their own lives and shift the balance of power in our state.
Michigan United, along with Michigan People’s Campaign, our affiliated 501(c)(4), is serious about building long-term, political power with the aim of transforming our political and economic system into one that puts people and the planet first. Our main office is in Southwest Detroit, with additional offices in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Flint. As a racial and economic justice organization, we actively encourage individuals who are underrepresented on the basis of race, ethnicity, income and sexual orientation, as well as those who share the life experiences of the members we serve, to apply.