Benefits: Health care, Health savings account, retirement plan, generous paid time off, two-month paid sabbatical after 4 years of service, phone and travel stipends.
Michigan United is working to train community leaders to win just and fair policy changes that will improve air quality and clean water. Everyone deserves clean air and water and the ability to enjoy our state’s natural beauty. We are fighting for clean water and air in Michigan, specifically in Southwest Detroit, River Rouge, and Ecorse. When we fight, we win! The Environmental Justice Organizer will organize residents, community groups, and stakeholders that are impacted by these issues, in order to build the power necessary to change policy. The organizer will work to build public support and strategy for local, state, and federal campaigns around Environmental Justice..
- Build relationships with impacted residents and deepen their participation in environmental justice concerns in their neighborhood.
- Train community leaders in organizing skills and understanding the political landscape. Engage community leaders in having leadership roles in organizing an environmental justice campaign.
- Build a consistent organizing committee of impacted residents to move strategic planning of the campaign.
- Work closely with Michigan United environmental justice organizing staff and leaders to develop, refine and further the goals of the campaign.
- Promote the environmental campaign to earn media coverage and bring increased exposure to our issues.
- Build and nurture relationships with other environmental and/or social justice organizations around our work.
- Connect Environmental Justice campaign to larger Michigan United vision. Assist in recruitment of new members to Michigan United.
- Stay current on issues vital to the affected communities, the political landscape, and other matters that affect the ability of Michigan United to fulfill its mission, goals and objectives.
- Experience working in community-based settings and/or demonstrated relationship-building skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to motivate diverse groups of people and work well as a team member;
- Self-direction and self-motivation, and ability to work collaboratively and independently;
- Ability to build and maintain constructive, positive relationships;
- Strong commitment to social, racial and economic justice;
- Self-motivation and creative in problem solving;
- Literate in common computer applications;
- Ability to handle multiple job tasks and meet deadlines;
- Commitment to leadership development of leaders and members;
- Ability to travel and to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings;
- Ideal candidate lives in Rouge River, Ecorse, or Southwest Detroit;
- Multilingual skills are a plus;
- Access to reliable transportation daily
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Michigan United
Michigan United is a statewide organization of community members and institutions fighting for economic and racial justice. We use the tools of community organizing, leadership training, advocacy, media work, and civic engagement to run strategic campaigns that win real change. We're committed to winning a better world for all of our communities, not just the privileged.
We are the largest community organizing group in the state, with offices in Detroit, Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids and Flint. We represent 100 member community organizations.
Michigan United organizes along the following issue areas: immigrants’ rights, criminal justice reform, environmental justice, universal family care (including health, child care, elder care and paid sick time) and civic engagement. We work to build the capacity of community members who are directly impacted these issues to lead and win concrete reforms that will change their own lives and shift the balance of power in our state.
Michigan United, along with Michigan People’s Campaign, our affiliated 501(c)(4), is serious about building long-term, political power with the aim of transforming our political and economic system into one that puts people and the planet first. Our main office is in Southwest Detroit, with additional offices in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Flint. As a racial and economic justice organization, we actively encourage individuals who are underrepresented on the basis of race, ethnicity, income and sexual orientation, as well as those who share the life experiences of the members we serve, to apply.