More Perfect Union Action
Position Title: State Legislative Researcher (Temporary Full-Time)
Reports to: Senior Director, Video Strategy
Salary Range: $85,000 annually
Contract Duration: Six (6) months beginning in March 2023
Applications will be accepted for this position on a rolling basis.
More Perfect Union is an advocacy and journalism organization with a mission to build power for the working class. We cover policy, labor, business, economics, and political news through a class lens, and we pair our reporting with activism to help working people win policy fights. Launched in February 2021, More Perfect Union’s coverage has garnered over 130 million video views and hundreds of thousands of followers on social media.
We’re hiring a temporary, full-time employee, State Legislative Researcher to track policy fights on the state and local level that affect working people, and to use that information to create video/news content and help shape our advocacy campaigns. The person in this role will closely monitor the progress of key bills and watch scores of relevant legislative hearings, policy debates, and floor speeches for moments that can be elevated to a national audience. We’re looking for someone with exceptional writing and research skills, deep knowledge of current policy and political debates, and a keen eye for identifying newsworthy moments while watching policy debates in real time.
- Identify, and monitor the progress of, key legislative/executive policies advancing at the state and local levels that are relevant to More Perfect Union’s mission
- Watch relevant hearings, floor debates, and other legislative activity to spot notable or newsworthy moments
- Create digital video clips and other social media content around the notable information identified in state/local legislative sessions
- Verify and report out news scoops and other leads as necessary
- Consistently uphold strict editorial standards for accuracy and credibility
- Seek out and leverage data insights to inform our content creation decisions
- Complete assignments from supervisor and colleagues and meet deadlines
- Operate in a nimble, fast paced environment
- Perform other duties as assigned
- At least 3 years of relevant experience in a news, media, or advocacy organization as a journalist or content producer. Experience covering politics and economic issues is preferred
- Very active consumer of news content on Twitter and other social media, with a deep grasp of how content breaks through on various platforms, and a nuanced understanding of which types of content perform well on respective platforms and how to use various platforms to search for specific types of content
- A track record of using research and other remote reporting skills to advance stories
- Experience leveraging social media analytics to inform content strategy
- Enthusiasm for producing rigorous journalism that features strong storytelling and achieves real-world impact
- A broad interest in progressive politics and advocacy, labor organizing, electoral politics, and the policymaking process at the local, state, and federal levels
- Experience with Quorum stakeholder management
We are flexible about the employment classification of this position; as the position will run for six (6) months, we are open to full time employees with benefits or contractors.
At More Perfect Union we strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice in all elements of our work. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, post-secondary educational status, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We strongly encourage members of historically underrepresented and marginalized communities to apply.
More Perfect Union is offering a competitive salary and an exceptional benefits package including: health, dental and vision benefits, flexible savings accounts, life insurance, short term/long term disability, monthly home office stipend, paid federal holidays and PTO.